Red duck tail 🦆

MR_Y

Well-known member
Yeah, did a quick google and it's doable with some coding+the control units. Not sure if you've looked into that now you're off plan. There's quite a lot (incl maps in the dynamic screen with android/apple) that can be coded in. Of course, just be sure whoever you use for this sort of stuff knows 100% what they're doing, bricking a module will *NOT* be a fun experience...
Thanks.
The temptation for an Android auto unit (or hack to get the OEM screen to show Android auto) is there.
For now, I decided to keep the cars electronics virginal. The Steelmate system is wireless and can be removed easily.
 

TBP88

Well-known member
Thanks.
The temptation for an Android auto unit (or hack to get the OEM screen to show Android auto) is there.
For now, I decided to keep the cars electronics virginal. The Steelmate system is wireless and can be removed easily.
Not 100% sure which version you have of PCM - but check my thread, carlinkit is literally a plug box, no coding or anything like that - may work with your version?
 

TBP88

Well-known member
I went with that pretty much because I couldn't risk coding and bricking a car under plan, would be the most dumbfuck thing on earth to brick a module because "I want maps on my pretty side screen"
 

MR_Y

Well-known member
Not 100% sure which version you have of PCM - but check my thread, carlinkit is literally a plug box, no coding or anything like that - may work with your version?
I have PCM 3.1.
I think you have PCM 4.0.
With 3.1, it needs some surgery to get android auto/carplay to work.
May consider in future.
 

TBP88

Well-known member
I have PCM 3.1.
I think you have PCM 4.0.
With 3.1, it needs some surgery to get android auto/carplay to work.
May consider in future.
Yeah, 718 uses PCM4, weird, because 981 GT4 uses the same, but I assume the switch came with 991.2, not 991.1.

Pity that you'd have to hack in there a bit to get it sorted, but I suppose bluetooth music and a phone mount has you 70% of the way anyway.
 

Red Line

Active member
All .1’s were PCM3.1 and switched over to PCM4 when the .2 was launched. I went down this rabbit hole some time back by trying to add carplay to PCM3.1 and at the time the Fibre optic loop kit was the most popular but was not straightforward . Think there are a few simpler things on the market now but all require you to open up the entire radio. Really hoping for a plug and play solution so if u find one let me know 😀
 

MR_Y

Well-known member
There goes the resale value 😉

Screenshot_20260929_223534_Photos.jpg

36,000km put on since being purchased in March 2024.
I have done more mileage in the last 2.5 years than what was done in the first 11 years of the car's life.

Not complaining.

Recent run with mates to Cullinan.
The blue 991 behind mine is sitting at over 90,000km, current owner is also a daily user.
IMG-20260927-WA0026.jpg
 

MR_Y

Well-known member
Another fun day out at Gerotek with the Porsche Club.

After a ball breaking week at work, this event was the right therapy at the right time!

Skidpan, straight sprints and high speed oval.

My relatively fresh rear tyres and recent oil leak repairs held up well. The car was pushed hard in 35+ degree Celsius temperatures - a proper stress test and all levels were in check.

To quote Matthew Wilder (since it is on my playlist now), "Ain't nothing gonna break my stride, nobody gonna slow me down, I gotta keep on moving" :)

8am line up
20261010_080739.jpg

Chilling for the straight sprints
1791735230103.jpg

Couldn't take pictures of the high speed oval because there were undercover cars undergoing performance testing. This is the bridge over the oval.
1791735126433.jpg

Waiting for the skidpan
20261010_090617.jpg

My daily driver, weekend toy and therapist.
20261010_091554.jpg


This is Balls-to-the-wall mode - aggressive shifting, hard adaptive suspension, traction control off.
20261010_085926.jpg
 
Last edited:
Top