Can a 200,000 km F30 320d Still Be a Good Buy?

Clint@MMS AUTO

BMWFanatics Advertiser
Official Advertiser
TODAY’S UPDATE - ALIGNMENT, COSMETIC BITS, OIL SERVICE & PADDLE PREP

I forgot to mention in the previous update that, before dropping the car off at Apex for the detail, I took it in for its proper wheel alignment.

1.jpeg

Happy to report that everything is going really well.

The new front suspension has completely transformed the way the car drives. Everything now feels solid and tight, the steering is much more direct, and the combination of the new ball joints, tie rods and steering rack thrust-bush repair has removed the play and looseness that was there before.

Going over bumps and uneven roads is probably where the difference is most noticeable. No more knocking or clunking from the front end — everything just feels properly damped and controlled now.

Honestly, it’s delightful to drive.

While I was underneath the car previously, I also noticed that the front driver-side jacking point was missing, so I sourced a new one and fitted that as well. Small thing, but another item off the list.
3.1.jpeg

Now that Apex had finished detailing the car and the Melbourne Red was looking fresh again, I figured it was finally time to fit some of the gloss black cosmetic bits I had been collecting.

First up were the easiest ones — the mirror caps and smoked LED indicators.
The mirrors were stripped, the new indicators fitted, and everything reassembled with the gloss black mirror caps.

WhatsApp Image 2026-09-26 at 22.00.32 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2026-09-26 at 22.00.31 (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-26 at 22.00.32.jpegWhatsApp Image 2026-09-26 at 22.00.32 (1).jpeg

So I fitted:
  • Gloss black mirror caps
  • Smoked LED mirror indicators
  • M Performance-style boot spoiler
  • Gloss black rear diffuser
  • Gloss black front lip spoiler
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-26 at 22.00.32 (3).jpeg

I originally bought mud flaps and double-slat front grilles as well, but I’ve decided not to fit them for now.

I actually really like the way the car looks in its current form and don’t want to overdo it.

I may still add gloss black side-skirt extensions later, but for now I think the exterior is pretty much where I want it.

So we went from this:
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-26 at 22.00.31 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-26 at 22.00.31 (1).jpeg

To this:
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-26 at 22.00.33.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-26 at 22.00.34 (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-26 at 22.00.35 (1).jpeg

It looks so good now.

Next up was another engine oil service

I’ve done roughly 300 km on the oil since the previous change and wanted to see what it looked like after using that short interval as a bit of a clean-out.
5.1.jpeg

When I previously looked inside the valve cover, the engine looked extremely clean with no visible sludge or nasty build-up, so I was expecting the oil to come out fairly clean.

The car went back onto the lift and I ran another engine flush through it before draining the oil.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
4.jpeg

After Flushing the engine, the Oil Filter was removed
5.2.jpeg

Once the drain plug came out, it was pretty much what I expected — the oil was still fairly clean with only some light discolouration.
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
9.jpeg
11.jpeg

I let it drain properly, fitted a new crush washer and closed everything up.
12.jpeg

The engine then finally got the good stuff: 5.2 litres of Motul X-clean 5W-40.
13.jpeg
14.jpeg
So that completes the short-interval oil-cleaning phase for now.

Then onto the next little project — paddle shifters.

My car unfortunately isn’t wired from the factory with the paddle signal wire at FEM pin 5.
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-20 at 23.27.03.jpeg
I’ve ordered the MQS terminals, wire and the other small bits I need to make the harness, but those seem to be taking forever to arrive.

In the meantime, I managed to source a new M Sport steering wheel fitted with paddle shifters, as well as M1 and M2 buttons.


I’ve also sourced and fitted the additional button module to the steering wheel that will allow the M1 and M2 buttons to cycle through the driving modes.

18.jpeg
19.jpeg
20.jpeg
So most of the steering-wheel side is now ready.

All that remains is to make up the signal wire, run it between the steering column and FEM, and then swap the new steering wheel onto the car.

Once it’s fitted and wired, I’ll see what coding is still required to get everything working properly.

So another decent bit of progress.

Mechanically the car is now driving beautifully, the suspension and steering finally feel the way they should, the paintwork is looking fresh again, the gloss black bits have sharpened up the exterior nicely, and the paddle-shift conversion is slowly coming together. Theres also the Cooling system refresh which i have also been collecting parts for but will maybe get to that next month sometime.

More to follow.
 
Top