Got home Safely last night, Coolant temps did not breach 99deg.
When i got home i done 2 tests.
1. I pulled Lower coolant hose temp sensor
- Expected result : The DME supposed to activate the fan at Full blast as a failSafe
- Outcome : The fan did nothing. Did not spin or try to spin
2. I pulled the Pressure switch plug on the AC Dryer
- Expected result : The DME supposed to activate the fan at Full blast as a failSafe
- Outcome : The fan did nothing. Did not spin or try to spin
so i Knew now for sure that the fan was not getting the HighSpeed Signal from DME.
It only spun at like a low/moderate speed. But Never HighSpeed.
Since BMW wants exactly "R8548.07"incl VAT, for a new fan, i started hunting for a Second hand Original BOSCH one.
Everyone i contacted did not have. :|
And of all the millions of E46 parts cars i had, I have no idea why i never kept atleast 1 for myself as a spare.
March 2027, im going to bite the bullet and by the OEM fan from BMW. so its on Spare parts list for 2027.
For now, I needed a replacement fan to get the car going.
Called masterparts to see what brands they had instock
Thermacool - R2800
- Price and unknown name is a No Go for me.
Called Diesel Electric
Mahle - R5200
- I wanted to Buy this one as Mahle is the OE Manufacturer for these but if im spending 5k+, i might aswell buy the BMW bosch one.
- So i passed on this
GoldWagen
VIKA - R3200
- Done some research on this brand in the past and Just no thank you.
Tier 1 quality brands, in the budget range is either Mahle, Febi or CoolXpert.
I went on Goldwagens website partsfinder and i saw alternative Fan FEBI brand.
PartNumber: 31220B
E46fanantics mentioned it needs to say "Germany" on the label then its a German made product and not repackaged Chinese nonesense.
I messaged a contact of mine at GW and he Mentioned there is only 1 in CPT at the Strand branch.
and he confirmed its Germany labelled product.
Price - R3850 and i managed to get a decent discount on the item
Got delivered to me ( Thanks GW WoodStock for getting it from Strand for me, And then delivering it to my home )

installed The Fan and Repeated the 2 tests
1. I pulled Lower coolant hose temp sensor
- Expected result : The DME supposed to activate the fan at Full blast as a failSafe
- Outcome : The fan only spun at like 20%. (Worried)
- Remembered there is no AC gas in the system so the Pressure sensor would be reading Zero pressure.
- This explains why it only spun 20% and not Full blast.
2. I pulled the Pressure switch plug on the AC Dryer
- Expected result : The DME supposed to activate the fan at Full blast as a failSafe
- Outcome : The fan spun up to 100% full blast
Trek this morning to work in moderate traffic and happy to report, Temps remained between 93deg - 97deg.
it touched 98deg once at the Bellville Taxi rank robots thanks to those Clowns blocking the intersection but It immediately dropped to 93deg.
And the Spare parts list Keeps growing.
