Making the Change ๐Ÿ‘€

Bugger

///Member
Yes, it's me again. But it's not what you think.

Since the start of the year, my wife and I have been discussing the need to purchase a new property. So since then, I've been doing a lot of maths stuff to find out what the best way was for us to do that. With the ever increasing price of petrol, it's becoming unaffordable for me to run two petrol cars, both M Performance, especially with the X4, which does less than 450kms a month and is used mostly to run around on short trips in the neighbourhood. With the price of petrol in Gauteng now over R30/L, the next full tank on the X4 is going to cost north of R2000. Coupled with a relatively high installment, I decided it was time to change tack.

I got burnt on this forum a while back for intimating I may want to go EV. So now you can burn me properly. After all my calculations, finance modelling, wear and tear research, running costs etc. I have decided to take the plunge and let someone else's pain benefit me.

So later this week we are trading in our 2022 X4 M40i, which is possibly in the top 5 best BMWs I have EVER owned, for a 2024 i4 M50 with 23,000kms on the clock. BMW offered me an incredible trade on the X4 (it only has 46,000kms on the clock), well above trade, and they gave me a very generous discount on the i4, and are throwing in an 11kW wall charger as part of the deal. The i4 is Frozen Portimao Blue, and absolutely mint.

My initial repayment and energy savings are going to be significant over running the X4 the way it is run. I am very sad to see it go, but with the excitement of finally, after 11 years together, of buying our first home together, it was the right time to do it.

I drove the i4 on Friday last week and was blown away by how ballistic it is. It's no M3, but my Lord it f@#ks off for what it is carrying that much weight. The silence is going to take some getting used to, but it's also incredibly well optioned, has the preferential 19" rims for better range, the M Sport seats like in the X4 and some other goodies as well. I haven't received the full spec sheet yet, but will post it once it's given to me. What I do like is that it has the extended Carbon Fibre pack for exterior trim.

My wife is incredibly excited by both the car and the home purchase, as am I. My BMW befokked son is beyond in his element. He was on the test drive with me and when I floored it (at age 6) said "Jesus daddy this thing is fast".

These pics are just off Autotrader for now.

Screenshot 2026-10-06 at 11.07.21.pngScreenshot 2026-10-06 at 11.07.28.pngScreenshot 2026-10-06 at 11.07.36.pngScreenshot 2026-10-06 at 11.07.44.pngScreenshot 2026-10-06 at 11.07.51.pngScreenshot 2026-10-06 at 11.07.57.pngScreenshot 2026-10-06 at 11.08.05.pngScreenshot 2026-10-06 at 11.08.13.pngScreenshot 2026-10-06 at 11.08.30.png

Hoping to take delivery either on Friday or Saturday, instruction was given to BMW to send the car for prepping.

This is going to be VERY interesting.
 

TBP88

Well-known member
Makes sense, EV for the daily, ICE for the weekend. We'll all end up this way eventually. Petrol at R30+/l (which looks like the new normal) and interest rates being higher for longer as well mean just sitting on a diesel/petrol daily is making less and less sense.
 

Bugger

///Member
Thanks gents. Yeah it was a tough decision to make but with wanting to buy a house and the soaring energy costs, we had to do it. The 850 isn't exactly frugal so I have to be more and more careful now. In the end once all the sums added up it was a no brainer. I'll put some better pics up once I have it and will do a proper review once I've gotten to grips with it.
 

Bugger

///Member
FFS!!!!I thought this oke sold the M850i ha ha ha!
Congrats dude! EVs are surprising creatures!
Enjoy the "no fuel concern" on this car once you get it and it is quiet a looker too!
No the 8 has to stick around for a while! Thanks bud, from the small taste I got last Friday, I just hope my missus doesn't find the Sport Boost function otherwise that range is gonna be 100kms! But really keen to see what it's like living with an EV day to day.
 

Bugger

///Member
Congratulations.

I had to google what this is...400kw WTF
I know. And you feel it when you plant your foot. That instant torque is insane. No waiting for nothing. Stomp on the quiet pedal and hold on.

Thanks man, really happy with the purchase!
 

PsyCLown

Well-known member
Congrats Bugger!

I have not driven an i4 M50 but on paper it has seemed mighty impressive and I have always thought it would make for a great, frugal daily with decent power.

Now that the car portion is sorted, have you found a house yet?
 

Bugger

///Member
Congrats Bugger!

I have not driven an i4 M50 but on paper it has seemed mighty impressive and I have always thought it would make for a great, frugal daily with decent power.

Now that the car portion is sorted, have you found a house yet?
Not yet, there's a few more things to be done before we start the search. This was phase 1 of a 4 phase strategy ๐Ÿ‘€
 

FiRi@Rennzport

Well-known member
Official Advertiser
Exciting stuff!

Install a proper solar setup in that new home and simultaneously f&#* Eskom/Metro and the petrodollar system. Win win!
Agreed... let me know when you ready for Solar and accessories..


Congrats on the new cab. 4 series shape is beautiful and also a no brainer.

Sent from my SM-S948B using Tapatalk
 

modocrat

Well-known member
Congrats you naughty Bugger. I drove the i5 M60 and it was crazy fast so you're definitely going to be having lots of fun in this air-fryer :p
 
Top