Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I fitted none runflats to my beemer!
22-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Man oh man why did I not do it sooner!!

I saved R2000 and I got 4 new tyres instead of just 2!

There is no more tyre noise anymore!!

It is slighty softer, but not by much it seems.

Much more wear pattern then the conti's I use to have, so they will probably last longer I think.

Just do it guys if you are out of plan, I heard some guys have issues if you don't use bmw approved tyres and you are in accident your plan might be scrapped.

Current:
Red 2012 320D Sport Line A/T
Optional extra's: 18" light alloy wheels Double-spoke style 397; Rear view camera; Glass Sunroof, Headlamp washer system; Park Distance Control; Xenon headlights; Adaptive headlights; High Beam Assist; Park Assist; Head-up display; Instrument cluster with extended contents; Driving Lights Package; Parking Package
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2019, 10:23 PM
RE: I fitted none runflats to my beemer!
If the tyres have the BMW spec logo (small star), then insurance would be fine regardless of it being non runflat.

I would just keep a space saver spare in the boot as a safety measure.

Current: 2016 Volvo V60 C.C. D4 AWD Polestar
Current (SO): 2016 Mazda CX5 2.0 Active Auto
Ex: 2017 320d M-Sport Sports Auto
Ex: 2013 Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
Ex (SO): 2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI SE Sedan (M)
Ex (SO): 2011 Ford Focus 1.8Si (M)
Ex: 2010 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Ambition (M)
Ex: 2007 Volvo C30 2.0i (M)
Ex: 2005 Opel Astra Classic 1.6i Club (M)

[Image: 944468.png]
23-03-2019, 08:18 AM
My question is around aftermarket warranty and insurance.

My car will be out of plan before needing new tires and the thought RFs af R18000 a set makes me puke in my mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
23-03-2019, 10:46 AM
This notion that your out of plan BMW must have star rated tires is absolute shit. If your insurance demands it, move to one that doesn't.

It might have something to do with people who fit the likes of Apollo on a M5, which shouldn't really happen.

Point is, there are a number of premium brands offering fantastic rubber which aren't star rated, surely that qualifies as acceptable. Or am I delusional?

Chucking the run flats off is a good move, I've done it more than once.
The following 2 users Like GoCart's post:
Nick, SubLoaded
23-03-2019, 10:52 AM
(23-03-2019 10:46 AM)GoCart Wrote:  This notion that your out of plan BMW must have star rated tires is absolute shit. If your insurance demands it, move to one that doesn't.

It might have something to do with people who fit the likes of Apollo on a M5, which shouldn't really happen.

Point is, there are a number of premium brands offering fantastic rubber which aren't star rated, surely that qualifies as acceptable. Or am I delusional?

I normally fit Bridgestone Potenza or Toyo. I steer clear of unknowns and Dunlop (bad experiences in the past)

At least the tyres on there at the moment is practically brand new still. Another at least 20k to go.

23-03-2019, 01:53 PM
(23-03-2019 10:46 AM)GoCart Wrote:  This notion that your out of plan BMW must have star rated tires is absolute shit. If your insurance demands it, move to one that doesn't.

Honestly, good luck getting a written confirmation from any insurer saying that they will be happy with non BMW specced tyres for your car. Whether, runflat or non runflat, does not matter.

If the claim is big enough, any insurer would use the most hard-arsed assessor that they can find to repudiate the claim.

If you hit a puddle in the rain and write off a 5 year old BMW (out of plan, but still worth alot in retail value), I am 99% sure that the assessor will question the tyres. Simple.

However, if an old lady backed up into your car in the car park, I highly doubt that the assessor would even blink at your tyres.

What I am trying to say, is that the choice of what you put on your car may only impact your insurance when it comes to particular categories of claims.

If you are willing to play the odds, then power to you.

23-03-2019, 02:55 PM
Insurance can not dictate the type of tyre used on your vehicle, the star rating is specific to BMWs warranty terms and conditions. From an insurance perspective as long as the vehicles tyres are road legal I.e. not plain or track use only tyres, your claim can not be declined.

Current rides
1995 E36 325i [Unfinished Monalisa]
2004 E46 330D M-sport [167wkw 556nm]

Ex Rides
1998 160i Conquest Rs
2012 Yamaha FZ6R - Stock
The following 8 users Like Nikhil's post:
Danny@DSCmotorsport, GoCart, husaindindar, Kimeran, r0ckf1re, rsgordini, SubLoaded, Thami4u
22-04-2019, 05:38 PM
I have done this too. I’m still under motorplan and didn’t know that non runflats were an issue as long as they have the stars. I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 for my F30 320D and wow. I just can’t wheel spin this case anymore. The car grips like a mad lad.

When I went to go test drive a car (BMW Cedar Isles) and brought up to the dealer that I swapped out of Runflats I was told that if I had a puncture I might not get assistance from the tyre guys - the BMW wheel swap dudes. So that kinda sucks.

I got confirmation from Holland Insurance (through my FNB insurance broker) that they don’t care if it’s Runflats or not. As long as it is starred.
The following 1 user Likes kickasskeegan's post:
MR_Y
22-04-2019, 05:53 PM
(22-04-2019 05:38 PM)kickasskeegan Wrote:  I have done this too. I’m still under motorplan and didn’t know that non runflats were an issue as long as they have the stars. I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 for my F30 320D and wow. I just can’t wheel spin this case anymore. The car grips like a mad lad.

When I went to go test drive a car (BMW Cedar Isles) and brought up to the dealer that I swapped out of Runflats I was told that if I had a puncture I might not get assistance from the tyre guys - the BMW wheel swap dudes. So that kinda sucks.

I got confirmation from Holland Insurance (through my FNB insurance broker) that they don’t care if it’s Runflats or not. As long as it is starred.

All you need is a spare wheel in the boot and you can drive super long distances without a worry

22-04-2019, 06:05 PM
(22-04-2019 05:53 PM)MR_Y Wrote:  
(22-04-2019 05:38 PM)kickasskeegan Wrote:  I have done this too. I’m still under motorplan and didn’t know that non runflats were an issue as long as they have the stars. I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 for my F30 320D and wow. I just can’t wheel spin this case anymore. The car grips like a mad lad.

All you need is a spare wheel in the boot and you can drive super long distances without a worry

U can use that or a mobility kit that is a compressor plus tire sealer all in one.
Here is what they look like :
Mobility Kit
22-04-2019, 06:12 PM
I honestly didn't even know that it needed to have the star rating even out of plan. Learnt something valuable here

CURRENT: 2010 E90 LCI 325I M-SPORT
22-04-2019, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

I do have two spare Runflats in my garage as they had decent thread life so if I had to i’d use that to get me to the nearest Tyre shop.

Will defo get a mobility kit.
22-04-2019, 06:47 PM
(22-04-2019 06:05 PM)Danny@DSCmotorsport Wrote:  
(22-04-2019 05:53 PM)MR_Y Wrote:  

U can use that or a mobility kit that is a compressor plus tire sealer all in one.
Here is what they look like :
Mobility Kit

This is interesting. My car came with the kit. Had no idea it had the sealant too.

22-04-2019, 06:50 PM
All insurance assesors check for is tread dept on tyres ..

[Image: 7eb7a78f-5fd2-496c-8910-62cb6e73630a_zps7c7fe6e9.jpg]
The following 2 users Like babyboss's post:
Danny@DSCmotorsport, lebofa
23-04-2019, 07:13 AM
(22-04-2019 06:44 PM)kickasskeegan Wrote:  Thanks for the tips guys.

I do have two spare Runflats in my garage as they had decent thread life so if I had to i’d use that to get me to the nearest Tyre shop.

Mobility kit is fantastic if you have 16 inch rims, or if you don't travel much long distance.
When you start running 18inch+ rims, the likelihood of rim cracking/buckling is pretty high. In this case, having a space saver wheel is a definite must - especially if you travel long distances.

23-04-2019, 08:17 AM
My Bridgestone runflats on my e90 has so much tread still left, but it is so freakin noisy, it drives me insane.

Now I have this dilemma.. Ditching four good tires that is still good for thousands of km just because they are noisy and drive me insane, or do I grit my teeth and turn up the radio.

My head is saying ditch.
23-04-2019, 08:36 AM
Try sell the run flats off then

Current:
M135i F20 Estoril Blue 6MT - Weekend Warrior
Opel Corsa Utility 1.4 Sport - Daily

SO:
320d F30 MSport Alpine White 8sp A/T
Gone but not forgotten:
Peugeot 207 HDi 1.6 HDi
Honda Civic Type R FN2 NHB

My Build Thread: M135i
23-04-2019, 08:42 AM
(23-04-2019 07:13 AM)MR_Y Wrote:  
(22-04-2019 06:44 PM)kickasskeegan Wrote:  Thanks for the tips guys.

Mobility kit is fantastic if you have 16 inch rims, or if you don't travel much long distance.
When you start running 18inch+ rims, the likelihood of rim cracking/buckling is pretty high. In this case, having a space saver wheel is a definite must - especially if you travel long distances.

Hmm fair point. I currently have 17’ wheels. I wonder if the mobility kit would be worth it for them?
23-04-2019, 05:20 PM
What is the star rating meant to be ?
Just bear in mind if you have a space saver, you need a jack and wheel nut wrench.
My car has no space and all this crap is going to lie in the boot.
It’s not like a m135 has much space to start with.
If the space was available under the boot board, many more of us would change over.
23-04-2019, 06:14 PM
So the previous owner of my car decided to do the alignment to late by then the run flats had worn down on the inners even though the rest of the tyre had decent life I had to replace them today. Went down to Mintys and fitted a set of non run flats and the difference in the ride is night and day. Rides much smoother and softer now. For every day driving I have the mobility kit along with a few cans of tyre weld. For the long trips I will put a full size 17 inch mag in the boot (I used this 17 inch even when I had the runflats for those long trips) Apart from the ride a full set of run flats were out of my budget (quoted 12k to 15k for a full 18inch set) so these non run flats suited my pocket aswell

CURRENT: 2010 E90 LCI 325I M-SPORT

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content