Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)
23-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for suggestions from anyone that has installed a TPMS on a car that didn't originally have one.

I'm looking at one for my E36 as I've had a few issues recently and think this could come in really handy. Just not sure what to choose.

Found this: https://www.twt.co.za/tyre-pressure-moni...gIrzvD_BwE

It's a bit pricey but works with your smartphone.

Thanks

Current -1996 E36 328i Individual

Ex - 1998 E36 318iS

[Image: whatsapp image 2017-03-28 at 11.45.09_86...76013.jpeg]

"If you park your car, walk away and don't look back, you're driving the wrong car"
....Real cars don't power the front wheels, they lift them....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2018, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2018 12:33 PM by MR_Y.)
Most OEM fitted TPMS devices are "indirect" types that use the ABS or wheel sensors to monitor the change in wheel speed among all 4 wheels, that can be caused by a change in wheel circumference from a pressure leak. I think my F30 is the indirect type, and so too was my TT Mk2 and my CX5. The main thing here is that the relative loss in one wheel is measured against the other wheels. So, if all 4 wheels lose pressure simultaneously (at the same rate of loss), then this will not trigger any warning. It will only ping if one or more wheels fall out of sync with the others. You can put in different tyres pressures, as long as the system is recalibrated.

The one you have listed here is the "direct" type that is superior to the above, since you monitor each wheel by itself and not relatively to the others.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content