Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
E90 LCI M sport ride height /shocks
27-03-2019, 08:08 AM
(26-03-2019 07:34 PM)shark111 Wrote:  
(26-03-2019 03:03 PM)Yulz9081 Wrote:  Just returned from Ashley at Koni after he installed all 4 STR.Ts for me.
There is a noticeable difference from the stock shocks in terms of handling coupled with the H&R sport springs, not sure if its placebo but the car does feel smoother as well.

All in just about R6700 installed including new rear bump stops (mine were disintegrating).
Assuming the price is for the shocks, how much were the springs?

I did the springs in 2015 at R5200 fitted, think they’re a bit more now but as I said he is willing to discount the combo by 10%. It’s a decent saving and they’re relatively quick and solid work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current:
'10 SG E90 320d Msport - RK Tuned
'18 Ranger Wildtrak
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2019, 10:07 AM
RE: E90 LCI M sport ride height /shocks
I've been checking my suspension out, paying attention and all that, and sure, the rear right is a bit low, but to be honest (I was parked on very level ground yesterday), I think my suspension is actually fine.

But let's be honest here, we do this because we want to, not because we need to... smile bounce

I used to look into other 320d's and be envious of the auto box. Now I've got an auto and I look into other 320d's envious of the manual box.
27-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Hah!

I am going to be doing it because I absolutely need to - not because I want to.

Sadly I suspect in my cars case, there seems to be some neglect from the prior owner.

But it is what it is. Anyway.
27-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Yeah, it's never great to have to fix something unexpectedly. I hope you come right soon.

I used to look into other 320d's and be envious of the auto box. Now I've got an auto and I look into other 320d's envious of the manual box.
27-03-2019, 02:51 PM
(27-03-2019 02:16 PM)Mrcloc Wrote:  Yeah, it's never great to have to fix something unexpectedly. I hope you come right soon.

Thumbs

The difference between preventative maintenance and reactive repairs. LOL!

I prefer the former over the latter.

But not everyone is like that. Hammerhead

Your thread has been awesomely informative for the next step in my own cars life and effective burning of my pocket with wallet inside. Biglol
27-03-2019, 03:31 PM
I just have to share these, and yes, I know it's not an E90, but still. I pulled them from Cobra's Facebook page. Damn this car looks hot!

[Image: 52366916-2112441378810502-8466347711216484352-o.jpg]

[Image: 52606135-2112441415477165-6282822716303081472-o.jpg]

27-03-2019, 03:40 PM
That is HOT.

Fencelook
28-03-2019, 11:09 AM
They've arrived and look quite nice. Properly solid, and I mean, well, what can one tell from looking at the things? I'll lay them out neatly sometime for a photo. One of the plastic bits is a bit broken, pointing to probably short life for it, but it's like really thin, so I'll probably do something about it anyway. No biggy - it's still functional.

I think I might just say I'm a tad excited to put this on.

28-03-2019, 02:47 PM
(28-03-2019 11:09 AM)Mrcloc Wrote:  They've arrived and look quite nice. Properly solid, and I mean, well, what can one tell from looking at the things? I'll lay them out neatly sometime for a photo. One of the plastic bits is a bit broken, pointing to probably short life for it, but it's like really thin, so I'll probably do something about it anyway. No biggy - it's still functional.

I think I might just say I'm a tad excited to put this on.

Just as excited to see the end result as well. Fencelook

Thanks for the update.
28-03-2019, 06:45 PM
[Image: IMG-20190328-184137-2.jpg]

Let's see. Bluebiggrin

The following 1 user Likes Mrcloc's post:
shark111
28-03-2019, 08:05 PM
My guess is that those rear springs are very hard at around 600 lb/in, but my method of measuring is very crude (but honestly, spring rate is not the most difficult thing in the world).

The front springs are very soft, but I know that stock is something like 130 lb/in.

30-03-2019, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2019 05:15 PM by Mrcloc.)
Ok, first rear one is in. I just need to torque down the joint bolt. Took slightly longer than I expected, but not too difficult. Just have a few cuts on my arms, so that makes it difficult.

[Image: PSX-20190330-170838.jpg]

Oh, and it turns out the shock absorber is at the end of its life, so replacing was definitely necessary! Thumbs

30-03-2019, 11:24 PM
So I got the other rear one on. It's a pain. Honestly. The jack slipped while I was jacking up the control arm, which wasn't pleasant. Getting the control arm to line up with the knuckle was a mission. Anyway, I got it all torqued down and nice.

As is customary after installing something on one's car, I did the test drive. It felt a bit bouncy, but bumps were way better soaked up. Now it's 11pm, and I'm on a quiet road, but inevitably there's some prick in a bakkie who will drive up my ass. I mean, what the hell?? I thought, car is warm, right... Foot goes flat, bakkie lights become small in a cloud of smoke, and I'm gone. Pretty soon I'm at the turn, so I decide to just go with it. Hard on the brakes, close my eyes (figuratively), and turn in way faster than my comfort zone over a couple of cat eyes. Immediately after the turn, the road curves right, left, right (it's an awesome road for driving), and I'm a mass of goodbumps! That's where these shocks come alive!! In a word, sex.

In comparison to the old ones, they don't slam over every little bump, the ride height is corrected, they do tend to bounce a little at low speed, but I'll see how they settle, and with a bit of lively driving, they're very well planted. I absolutely can't wait to put the front ones on! This is the best thing I've done to my car.

The following 1 user Likes Mrcloc's post:
Mc Member.
01-04-2019, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the update!

Post pics up when front and rears are in?
01-04-2019, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2019 09:05 AM by Mrcloc.)
(01-04-2019 08:05 AM)Mc Member. Wrote:  Thanks for the update!

Post pics up when front and rears are in?

I can't wait.

I just think I may have undone my stitches by installing the rear, so I'll wait until I've healed before doing the front. Bluebiggrin

I want to just update now that it seems things have settled. I'm only talking about the rear.

1. The ride height is 100% sorted out, so that problem is now gone. With this "lowering" kit, my car is riding slightly higher than before. The old springs and shocks were definitely worn (right kaput, left had a little life left).

2. I may very well have found out the hard way that the cause of bad ride height was actually the spring mounts - this is more common. Thankfully, mine were perfectly fine.

3. Doing the rear isn't all as straight forward as the internet says; you have to remove the entire trim in the boot, and then it's getting the knuckle bolt to 164 Nm that isn't easy without an extension. Also, lining up the control arm and the knuckle can cause a headache. If you're going to DIY this, the stock springs have a rubber mount top and bottom and the springs are open ended. The Cobra springs I got were flat on one end, and the height adjustment replaced the bottom rubber mount.

4. In terms of the Cobra suspension, I'm super happy. It's great for me, not for comfort. It's not bad, but it's definitely a bit more jarring than stock. All bumps feel rounder, so that's good, and when at speed, the suspension is absolutely magnificent. M Sport suspension will be better because I've experienced both, and M Sport is a bit more forgiving at lower speeds.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do the front for about 2 weeks. Unless the itch gets too strong. I'll post updates on that as soon as it's done, and look out for pics in the gallery threads. I think with everything I've done to my car, pics are in order.

The following 2 users Like Mrcloc's post:
Mc Member., shark111
09-05-2019, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2019 10:50 AM by shark111.)
Gents, not sure who can help, on the Bilstein shocks, which is the correct version for the E90 Lci with msport? Is it B4 or B4S? Or is there a specific part number of B4 for the Msport?
20-05-2019, 04:36 PM
(09-05-2019 10:50 AM)shark111 Wrote:  Gents, not sure who can help, on the Bilstein shocks, which is the correct version for the E90 Lci with msport? Is it B4 or B4S? Or is there a specific part number of B4 for the Msport?

I didn't see this until now. I've done a little research, and it seems like B4 fits both standard and MSport. B4S appears to be a bit shorter, but apparently it has an internal spring to allow further extension under pressure. B4S apparently does fit on MSport and lowered springs.

I actually came here to give an update. I see that my car isn't going down anymore. It seems the rear suspension for the Cobra kit doesn't lower as much as I thought. I currently have the height set to maximum, and from the space between arch and tires, it looks like if I set it to minimum, the top of the tire will be about level with the outside of the arch. Furthermore, I'll keep mine where it is. I don't need it any lower, and more importantly, it's basically impossible to adjust without taking the suspension out again. It's pretty much impossible to get the adjuster wrench in there, and there is so much pressure, it would be pointless if I could. They did include a washer, which I assume makes it possible to turn the adjustment under pressure, but it didn't fit nicely, so my springs sit on the adjuster directly.

So far, everything is looking good. I have heard the occasional groan as I get started after the car has sat for a while (and only once), but I got in there yesterday and sprayed some silicone spray into all the bushings and mounts, and it seems the groaning has just about gone. The bushings do look fine, and the suspension is looking good and performing well.

Replacing the front has been a problem. I haven't had the time, and I have been struggling to jack the car up. Coincidentally, the rear is supposed to be difficult, but I found that you can jack the rear easily on the rear jack point and put a jack stand under the frame to the side and slightly behind the diff, and then another just in front of the wheel arch where the sub-frame is bolted to the frame. In the front of the car, I'm trying to jack on the center jack point, and then put jack stands under the front side jack points, but I can't get the car high enough. I'll be making a platform to jack from soon, but until then, the front struts are on hold. Annoyingly.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content