Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
E90 LCI M sport ride height /shocks
25-03-2019, 08:42 AM
Also interested in which shocks to go with, currently looking between the Bilstein B4S and Koni
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2019, 08:56 AM
RE: E90 LCI M sport ride height /shocks
(25-03-2019 08:42 AM)shark111 Wrote:  Also interested in which shocks to go with, currently looking between the Bilstein B4S and Koni

So far from what I have seen, its the most cost effective.

Im just looking for something that is ride height and setup equivalent to the sportpack suspension.
25-03-2019, 09:16 AM
M sport springs - DM me if interested I have a set up for grabs

Koni Orange - Best bang for your buck!

Current: 2009 E90 330D M Sport LCI
Prev: 2007 E87 120i
Prev: 1991 E30 316i
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2019, 09:16 AM
(25-03-2019 09:16 AM)Sleepa Wrote:  M sport springs - DM me if interested I have a set up for grabs

What is the going rate for Koni Orange shocks?

Current:
e90 330d M-sport Auto
Opel Corsa Utility 1.4
Suzuki Tl1000

[Image: img_1954_7594118472.jpg]

Ex:
E46 320d Auto
E46 320d Manual
Kawasaki ZXR400
25-03-2019, 09:20 AM
If I was in USA, the Koni kit at R8k looks nice! I'd have to do my research because I like Bilstein though. I'll start saving anyway.

For now, I got a quote from Spring Center for the springs, and the price is much more realistic, so I'm getting those. I'll order this week. Perhaps post some pics. I think I'll just have to do some tests to see if I must replace, but the rear wheel is barely 10mm under the arch on the right (empty tank), and it's an easy replace, so I'll most likely do it.

I used to look into other 320d's and be envious of the auto box. Now I've got an auto and I look into other 320d's envious of the manual box.
25-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Ok, so I found something and I'm quite excited. I'll post details when I've dipped into savings and the deal is done.

I used to look into other 320d's and be envious of the auto box. Now I've got an auto and I look into other 320d's envious of the manual box.
25-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Koni STR.T and call it a day.

Good bang for buck and Koni Boksburg are willing to discount if you go for the combo with H&R springs.

You get what you pay for when it comes to suspension. Just my 2c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current:
'10 SG E90 320d Msport - RK Tuned
'18 Ranger Wildtrak
25-03-2019, 02:09 PM
(25-03-2019 09:16 AM)schalk320d Wrote:  
(25-03-2019 09:16 AM)Sleepa Wrote:  M sport springs - DM me if interested I have a set up for grabs

What is the going rate for Koni Orange shocks?

Roughly R7k-R8k for fronts and back , ex installation

contact Ashley at Koni , he is a good guy and will give you sound advice and probably give you a good deal on a complete setup
25-03-2019, 02:29 PM
Best to do a shock test and see if they are worn then replace with the relevant. I've also seen OEM springs loose tension and collapse causing the side to drop so maybe take the springs out and check them as well.
25-03-2019, 04:02 PM
I like the look of those Koni's and they've got a good reputation. The price is also good, but I've come across a nice deal with another good kit. They've got a good reputation in Europe with happy users. Going price is about EUR650, I'm getting them for R3700 excl., so rather than saving, I'll take the good deal now. Bluebiggrin

It's Cobra EVO I. I've tried to find out as much as possible, but we'll have to wait and see. The reasons I'm going with them are:
- Made in Netherlands
- Good write ups here and there
- Not American (Gabriel, Monroe et al.)

The only bad things I've heard are uninformed guessers.

As a matter of interest, how long should a set of OEM struts last in normal driving conditions? I'm going to take my shocks out to test them, and if they're fine, I'll pack the new kit away for a few years. At least I can rather save for the other things I've been planning for this year.

25-03-2019, 04:12 PM
(25-03-2019 04:02 PM)Mrcloc Wrote:  I like the look of those Koni's and they've got a good reputation. The price is also good, but I've come across a nice deal with another good kit. They've got a good reputation in Europe with happy users. Going price is about EUR650, I'm getting them for R3700 excl., so rather than saving, I'll take the good deal now. Bluebiggrin

It's Cobra EVO I. I've tried to find out as much as possible, but we'll have to wait and see. The reasons I'm going with them are:
- Made in Netherlands

As a matter of interest, how long should a set of OEM struts last in normal driving conditions? I'm going to take my shocks out to test them, and if they're fine, I'll pack the new kit away for a few years. At least I can rather save for the other things I've been planning for this year.

Post a few pics and such like when you receive them?

Also noted these kits myself but was unsure.
26-03-2019, 08:29 AM
(25-03-2019 04:12 PM)Mc Member. Wrote:  Post a few pics and such like when you receive them?

Also noted these kits myself but was unsure.

Definitely! I must just decide if I'm going to get it. I'm 99% sure... Today will see.

26-03-2019, 11:41 AM
(25-03-2019 04:02 PM)Mrcloc Wrote:  I like the look of those Koni's and they've got a good reputation. The price is also good, but I've come across a nice deal with another good kit. They've got a good reputation in Europe with happy users. Going price is about EUR650, I'm getting them for R3700 excl., so rather than saving, I'll take the good deal now. Bluebiggrin

- Made in Netherlands

I fitted Cobra springs (not coilies) to my e90 330d this past week.

The cornering turn in is insane... however to daily the car like this can be challenging...

It does scrape on everything except maybe a cat eye...

Ride is hard...

Front arches need to be rolled / the rears were rolled with stock suspension and 19's already so they don't touch.

If you are going to track the car then I would suggest going this route / Evo 1 even better.

If you are using the car as a daily it is way too low and hard in my opinion.

Good price on the coil overs btw!

The following 1 user Likes Sleepa's post:
Mrcloc
26-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Fantastic to hear.

I don't drive far every day, and I'm hoping the 35 mm drop will be only that. The rear should be fine, I think. The front I'll have to see - at the moment there must be at least 60-70mm clearance before the arch.

I'm nervous about it though - I'm running 19's with 235's, so I don't have that much room in there, but how could I know unless I try?

The caveat is that I actually want 225's, but because I don't drive far, I'll probably have the 235's for a few more years. Anyway, pics will come. I ordered this morning.

26-03-2019, 12:48 PM
But one can adjust the height on that kit right?

If I can nail a semi decent package with springs and shocks then I am pretty sorted. Trying to source new sportpack springs is ridiculous, and then add to it the issue of shocks needed on top of that - R1500 each for the front.

And still needing to add in shock mountings too.

If a kit like this is semi decent for something that'll be driven as an everyday then great - just add shock mountings?

Im not so hard up on the ride quality as long as road holding and handling is equal to what it should be or better.

Ultimately when the finances improve and the e9x M3 is located as the occasional weekday and mostly weekend car, then I will obviously look at the top drawer parts.

But for a daily pothole avoidance car, surely this will suffice?

dunno anymore
26-03-2019, 01:16 PM
(26-03-2019 12:27 PM)Mrcloc Wrote:  Fantastic to hear.

I don't drive far every day, and I'm hoping the 35 mm drop will be only that. The rear should be fine, I think. The front I'll have to see - at the moment there must be at least 60-70mm clearance before the arch.

I'm nervous about it though - I'm running 19's with 235's, so I don't have that much room in there, but how could I know unless I try?

The caveat is that I actually want 225's, but because I don't drive far, I'll probably have the 235's for a few more years. Anyway, pics will come. I ordered this morning.

Yip 35mm should be same as mine...
Rears no issues depends on tyre, rim and offsets i guess?

Im running 19's with 235/35/19 on the front and I have to get it rolled else will damage tyre over time. Its touching if Im going through the corner @ the speed limit of course and i hit a small bump...

The Evo 1's look epic! Hope you enjoy them

26-03-2019, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2019 02:50 PM by Mrcloc.)
Mc Member, I'll see how it goes. I will use the current mounts - they're really not that old at all, and then I need to do the whole install and then get alignment, so it might take me a while. I'm not too worried about a firm ride - if I wanted to sail about like I was on the seven seas, I'd have bought a Merc.

Oh, ETA: Goldwagen quoted me R1100 IIRC for the entire front strut/spring setup per one (Bilstein OE replacement).

For rear springs, I got a very decent quote from Spring Center, but that's OE replacement.

Sleepa, I'll have to see when I install. My offset isn't much at all, so I'll have to install and see. I didn't want to go as low as 35mm, so perhaps I can simply drop in a 5-10mm spacer to increase ride height? I really hope I enjoy them too! Bluebiggrin

Go check out Cobra Suspension Facebook page - some nice pics and info.

26-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Just returned from Ashley at Koni after he installed all 4 STR.Ts for me.
There is a noticeable difference from the stock shocks in terms of handling coupled with the H&R sport springs, not sure if its placebo but the car does feel smoother as well.

All in just about R6700 installed including new rear bump stops (mine were disintegrating).

Current:
'10 SG E90 320d Msport - RK Tuned
'18 Ranger Wildtrak
26-03-2019, 03:59 PM
I also got a quote from Ashley - very good quote, and very much a sure bet. It would have been out of my price range, but less lowering would have suited me better. I would have saved for it, definitely, had I not bought the kit I did. Thumbs

26-03-2019, 07:34 PM
(26-03-2019 03:03 PM)Yulz9081 Wrote:  Just returned from Ashley at Koni after he installed all 4 STR.Ts for me.
There is a noticeable difference from the stock shocks in terms of handling coupled with the H&R sport springs, not sure if its placebo but the car does feel smoother as well.

All in just about R6700 installed including new rear bump stops (mine were disintegrating).
Assuming the price is for the shocks, how much were the springs?

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content