Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
looking for JHB s1000rr riders *need help*
12-08-2017, 11:56 AM
looking for JHB s1000rr riders *need help*
Hi Guys

Hope everyone is doing great..

i need some help please i just recently bought a s1000rr from a dealer 2013 model 26 000kms

im looking for other riders here in jhb that i can meet with to get opinions on my bike and possibly ride each others bikes and get feedback and thoughts.

i am now quiet desperate and running out of options... i am trying to rule out rider error for the head shake issue i am having... please please help me!!

thanks in advance... please watsapp me 082 953 4347
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2017, 01:00 PM
RE: looking for JHB s1000rr riders *need help*
sorry mate dont have an S1000 but ridden a few - but when you talk about head shake, when is it happening, how bad - is it pulling the bars out of your hand or just a vibration ?
have you checked the bearings for play and or if the clamps are all tight ?

Z4 M Coupe, once U go Coupe you cant go back. Bluebiggrin
2012 125i Coupe
07 A4 Tdi - 125kw+++ added some extra Ponies via software + decat, EGR & DPF delete.
12-08-2017, 02:55 PM
(12-08-2017 01:00 PM)MikeR Wrote:  sorry mate dont have an S1000 but ridden a few - but when you talk about head shake, when is it happening, how bad - is it pulling the bars out of your hand or just a vibration ?
have you checked the bearings for play and or if the clamps are all tight ?

wasup -

only on hard throttle not so serious but enough to shake the steering left and right for you to notice easily. bike just got back from dealer (bmw) triple clamps and head bearing re-torqued. no difference.
never had an issue on my gsxr even when front wheel lifted the steering never shake at all not even a tiny bit.. on this s1000 the front wheel doesn't even have to lift and it shakes
12-08-2017, 07:57 PM
strange - under acceleration, Ive not experienced that on the S1000's that Ive ridden and Ive ridden them hard. Im just not a fan of all the electronics they have on them,,,,,, aah thinking about that - have you checked the steering damper - Im not certain but are those bad boys electronically controlled.

Have you also checked the front rim for truness and or cracks.

Ive had issues with My Aprillia Mille - but that was steering damper leaked.

I did a you tube and found this scary footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5rhlw_f_FI

2012 125i Coupe
07 A4 Tdi - 125kw+++ added some extra Ponies via software + decat, EGR & DPF delete.
13-08-2017, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2017 12:27 AM by hoosain.)
I have an s1000rr I get no head shake under heavy acceleration just a tendancy to power wheelie

Current
98 E36 M3 SANTORINI
07 E90 335I JB4,backend flash dci, dp's, fmic (big tom), forge dv's, cooling mist water meth kit, ER cp, alpina b3 trans flash
244kph on the 1km
12.66@187 on the 1/4 mile on street tyres
2011 BMW S1000RR
13-08-2017, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2017 03:40 PM by Ezee.)
(12-08-2017 07:57 PM)MikeR Wrote:  strange - under acceleration, Ive not experienced that on the S1000's that Ive ridden and Ive ridden them hard. Im just not a fan of all the electronics they have on them,,,,,, aah thinking about that - have you checked the steering damper - Im not certain but are those bad boys electronically controlled.

I did a you tube and found this scary footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5rhlw_f_FI

need to check balancing and wheels still, wil see when i can get that done..
damper seems to be working fine can feel the difference from soft to stiff on steering.

yip only under hard acceleration does the steering shake. especailly noticed if you hard on throttle and changing lanes or putting some kind of movement on the bike steering to adjust direction (like lane change)

(13-08-2017 12:25 AM)hoosain Wrote:  I have an s1000rr I get no head shake under heavy acceleration just a tendancy to power wheelie

Slmz

yip front end likes to get light when pushing it Bluebiggrin

you not from jhb by any chance? it would be nice to get a different persons opinion on by bike.
13-08-2017, 05:40 PM
something else I must mention when you are twisting the throttle - try to take care not to push the throttle (put force on it) it can turn the wheel just a fraction can set it off balance when it becomes airborne - a good practice even for experienced riders is to try twist the throttle with two fingers only - its difficult at first but with practice it become second nature.

As bikes have progressed over the past 10 years the steering geometry has become so much more sensitive, and you will notice the BMWs have a very sharp turn in capability's which means more sensitivity, the newer bike almost turn by itself by just leaning to the direction you want to go.

2012 125i Coupe
13-08-2017, 10:15 PM
(13-08-2017 03:36 PM)Ezee Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 07:57 PM)MikeR Wrote:  strange - under acceleration, Ive not experienced that on the S1000's that Ive ridden and Ive ridden them hard. Im just not a fan of all the electronics they have on them,,,,,, aah thinking about that - have you checked the steering damper - Im not certain but are those bad boys electronically controlled.

need to check balancing and wheels still, wil see when i can get that done..
damper seems to be working fine can feel the difference from soft to stiff on steering.

yip only under hard acceleration does the steering shake. especailly noticed if you hard on throttle and changing lanes or putting some kind of movement on the bike steering to adjust direction (like lane change)

(13-08-2017 12:25 AM)hoosain Wrote:  I have an s1000rr I get no head shake under heavy acceleration just a tendancy to power wheelie

Slmz

yip front end likes to get light when pushing it Bluebiggrin

you not from jhb by any chance? it would be nice to get a different persons opinion on by bike.

wslm
iam from jhb maybe we can take a ride sometime
contact 0828850404

Current
98 E36 M3 SANTORINI
07 E90 335I JB4,backend flash dci, dp's, fmic (big tom), forge dv's, cooling mist water meth kit, ER cp, alpina b3 trans flash
244kph on the 1km
12.66@187 on the 1/4 mile on street tyres
2011 BMW S1000RR
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to hoosain for this post:
Ezee (08-16-2017)
15-08-2017, 11:35 AM
As a bike journalist, I have been to a few of the S1000RR launches and relaunches. I have also ridden the S1000R and S1000XR in anger and have never experienced a headshake on any of them.

As mentioned before, check wheel balancing and have the steering damper also checked.

And then... what tyre pressures are you running?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to theRéhann for this post:
Nick (08-15-2017)
15-08-2017, 11:44 AM
I was also thinking wheel balancing should be checked, and pressures? Especially if all else is tight and checks out? Definitely not good or safe to have much wobble on the front!

Good luck!

15-08-2017, 11:54 AM
found this.
http://s1000rrforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-2993.html

[Image: nick sig2_1674483441.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-08-2017, 11:59 AM
(15-08-2017 11:54 AM)Nick Wrote:  found this.

Good point.

Ezee, I can refer you to someone who can assist with suspension setup and he will also be able to advise on other issues. PM me if you want that.

Back in the BMW fold with a 740i (e38) Rollsmile
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to theRéhann for this post:
Nick (08-15-2017)
16-08-2017, 08:53 AM
(15-08-2017 11:35 AM)theRéhann Wrote:  As a bike journalist, I have been to a few of the S1000RR launches and relaunches. I have also ridden the S1000R and S1000XR in anger and have never experienced a headshake on any of them.

As mentioned before, check wheel balancing and have the steering damper also checked.

My S1000R has extremely light steering and suffers from headshake under acceleration. A lot of people fit the Ohlins steering damper for this reason. With a loose grip on the bars it is manageable, and I have not had a scare yet, but it is definitely a trait of the bike (the demo I rode before buying was the same).

In comparison I have not had any similar experiences on the XR or RR.

OP: Sounds to me like an alignment, part or setup issue.
Is it a second hand bike? Was it in an accident (maybe bent forks)?
How is your grip on the bars - have you tried loosening it to see if it improves?

GP1325
16-08-2017, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2017 03:44 PM by Ezee.)
(16-08-2017 08:53 AM)Enzio Wrote:  
(15-08-2017 11:35 AM)theRéhann Wrote:  As a bike journalist, I have been to a few of the S1000RR launches and relaunches. I have also ridden the S1000R and S1000XR in anger and have never experienced a headshake on any of them.

My S1000R has extremely light steering and suffers from headshake under acceleration. A lot of people fit the Ohlins steering damper for this reason. With a loose grip on the bars it is manageable, and I have not had a scare yet, but it is definitely a trait of the bike (the demo I rode before buying was the same).

In comparison I have not had any similar experiences on the XR or RR.

OP: Sounds to me like an alignment, part or setup issue.
Is it a second hand bike? Was it in an accident (maybe bent forks)?
How is your grip on the bars - have you tried loosening it to see if it improves?

bike going into dealer for neck bearings on monday, will get balancing confirmed as well while they working on it.

yip its a 2013 with 27000kms.. non accident as far as records and what the eye can see. yip tried the 2 finger throttle thing with lightest possible touch on bars, its less pronounced but still feel and see the handle bars shake left to right. not violently though.

(15-08-2017 11:59 AM)theRéhann Wrote:  
(15-08-2017 11:54 AM)Nick Wrote:  found this.

Good point.

Ezee, I can refer you to someone who can assist with suspension setup and he will also be able to advise on other issues. PM me if you want that.

thanks will keep it in mind.
right now im working with the dealer the bike was purchased from last month.

(15-08-2017 11:44 AM)PLV Wrote:  I was also thinking wheel balancing should be checked, and pressures? Especially if all else is tight and checks out? Definitely not good or safe to have much wobble on the front!

Good luck!

thanks... need the luck im so disappointed that im not getting to enjoy the bike.

thanks for you reply..
bike is booked back at dealer from Monday they will check damper and balancing while replacing the neck bearings..
i have tired a range of tire pressures from "REAR"2.4 to 2.9bar "front" 2.1 to 2.4bar

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content