Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Was I Flim-Flammed by BMW?
16-05-2017, 06:06 PM
RE: Was I Flim-Flammed by BMW?
(16-05-2017 06:03 PM)cOlDFuSiOn Wrote:  This is sad.. Could the face have been cut down, from the pic it almost looks like it was shaved down to recreate the diamond cut look? If not it is likely a rep. Again question is.. What happened to the original/what potential other damage is on the car? If the original was so bad..

Well the car has no comments. So hopefully nothing major. Maybe there was just nasty curb rash and they polished/carved the whole thing down a bit. It would explain why all the badges are more raised than the others.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2017, 06:12 PM
That's a rep.
The following 1 user Likes Gizmo's post:
TurboLlew
16-05-2017, 06:14 PM
OP, instead of giving yourself heart ache on what if's and could it be? take the tyre of and inspect for markings, compare this with the other rims on the car, then go have fun with the dealership.

Current: Danger Ranger
Ex E92 335i DCT

400m @ 11.516 @ 203kmh
Backed up at MSA event!
60-130mph - 8.3 seconds
Dragtimes.com

Time is the best teacher.. Unfortunately it kills all its students Bangdesk

The following 1 user Likes Kish2604's post:
LukeHawk
16-05-2017, 06:17 PM
I assume these new cars don't come with full size spare wheels? I was thinking it might be the spare but then I realised it can't be.

I would say it's a rep. And yes, you should be asking why it's there in the first place and what happened to the original.

If this was on motorplan when you bought it, it means it's supposed to be BMW pre-approved. How could it be with a rep on? They effectively sold you a product with defects.

How long have you had the car now?

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\
My thread - sold

Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
The following 1 user Likes ChefDJ's post:
LukeHawk
16-05-2017, 06:28 PM
(16-05-2017 06:17 PM)ChefDJ@TheFanatics Wrote:  I assume these new cars don't come with full size spare wheels? I was thinking it might be the spare but then I realised it can't be.

I would say it's a rep. And yes, you should be asking why it's there in the first place and what happened to the original.

If this was on motorplan when you bought it, it means it's supposed to be BMW pre-approved. How could it be with a rep on? They effectively sold you a product with defects.

How long have you had the car now?

About 5/6 months. It was on motor plan when I bought it, but almost out. I had it driven to me (about 1000km away or so) which actually finished the motor plan. But the fact remains that upon purchasing the vehicle it was in plan and was supposedly given the full monty check before delivery by SMG.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to check tomorrow before I take any action. But even if it is a refurb, they should have disclosed it before hand.

16-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Check your specific date of purchase to see if you fall within the 6 month cover period of the CPA.

My thread - sold

Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
LukeHawk
16-05-2017, 06:38 PM
(16-05-2017 06:29 PM)ChefDJ@TheFanatics Wrote:  Check your specific date of purchase to see if you fall within the 6 month cover period of the CPA.

Damn, month number 6 was finished on the 7th of May

I just noticed something though whilst looking through my files. According to the original purchase sheet the car came with 18" 400M wheels - the 19" were fitted on after - which was atually mentioned in an email. I must have missed that. No information as to whether they were OEM or not - but if it was still in motorplan they had to have been?

16-05-2017, 06:42 PM
That tells me that the previous owner was duped into buying a set that he thought were all originals.

My thread - sold

LukeHawk
16-05-2017, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2017 06:50 PM by LukeHawk.)
(16-05-2017 06:42 PM)ChefDJ@TheFanatics Wrote:  That tells me that the previous owner was duped into buying a set that he thought were all originals.

Hmm you might be right. Either way I have a bone to pick with SMG. I'll do some investigating on my side. I've got a feeling I won't be able to do much and will have to accept the hit, but I'll go down fighting

Thanks for the help guys!

16-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Definitely a rep. Just look at the holes let alone the badge.

Good luck getting it resolved

2012 F10 M5 Alpine White | Akrapovič Evolution Titanium | AC Schnitzer Suspension | ZCP Retrofit | M Performance Cosmetics
1974 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
2019 C200 AMG (Her's)
2020 .... Spawning in the depths of R'lyeh ....
16-05-2017, 07:53 PM
If you stuck the sticker back with glue could you have put it in the wrong way around? Are there no markings on the back of the wheels?
16-05-2017, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2017 08:04 PM by LukeHawk.)
(16-05-2017 07:53 PM)96328i Wrote:  If you stuck the sticker back with glue could you have put it in the wrong way around? Are there no markings on the back of the wheels?

You misread - I never stuck the sticker. It was the BMW cap that was loose.

I just sent the following email to a couple of people there at SMG South Coast

Quote:Hi all,

My name is XXXX, and in November 2016 I purchased a car from your dealership (BMW 320i M Sport - 2013 model)

I was giving my rims a thorough clean this past weekend and noticed something that caught my attention. One of my rims appears to be what I can only assume is a replica 19" 403M rim.

The car was purchased whilst still under motor plan- and I was informed by XXXX that 19" rims had been fitted to it. (according to the spec sheet, it originally came with the 18" 400M rims). I took this at face value, because being under motorplan - I assumed the rims being sold from a BMW dealer with the car were in fact OEM rims, not just look-a-likes.

This leads me to a few questions:

1) Was I knowingly sold a replica rim?
2) If the rims were not OEM, should this not have been disclosed to me?
3) The car was under motorplan at the time of purchase - dont all non-OEM parts need to be made apparent? especially coming from a BMW dealer?
4) If I am in fact wrong, and it is an OEM part that has been refurbished - should this not have been disclosed? Its a big difference
5) If it is just a refurbished rim - what damage was caused to it that required it to get such a treatment? and what about damage to the car/suspension, etc?

Something fishy has gone on here guys, and if it came from the previous owner like this, it should have been picked up by you guys. I'm not very happy and would like this addressed as soon as possible before it goes any further.

Please see the attached image. The picture on the left shows what 3/4 rims look like, and the picture on the right shows the last rim. Notice how the ///M badge is not indented into the rim like the rest, and how the BMW badge protrudes. The BMW badge on that rim was also loose upon delivery, but I did not think anything of it at the time and just made my own plan to secure it.

Regards,
XXXX

We'll see what they have to say. I will follow it up as well when I've identified it as a replica or OEM. I'd do it now, but I dont have a car jack on me.

17-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Looks like a rep to me. Doesn't make sense to have shaved down so much of the rim that the indent is gone completely.
Good luck with the fight!

[Image: dsc_0327_edit_bmw_8373914137.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes richykuo's post:
LukeHawk
17-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Turn the wheel full. Wipe the inside of the rim and take pics with flash

Easiest if you don't want to jack
The following 1 user Likes ooovie's post:
LukeHawk
17-05-2017, 09:32 AM
So far so good guys. They replied very quickly and said it's definitely not right that that happened. Said something about because the car was over 75000km they didn't do the full 20 point check, they just do roadworthys, a level 1 inspection (or something like that) and handover, even though it's still under motorplan, which is why it must have fallen through the cracks.
They are going to get back to me again soon, but say they should be able to send me an OEM replacement rim.
Ty

17-05-2017, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2017 09:40 AM by Gizmo.)
Amazing they always have an excuse...75 000km mean they no longer give a shit about what gets traded in and sold to the next sucker...#bmwmarketing

So from what they are telling us is we are better off buying a used BMW from a dealer with under 75000km as it would get the full check and not just a roadworthy.
17-05-2017, 09:46 AM
(17-05-2017 09:37 AM)Gizmo@GARAGE46 Wrote:  Amazing they always have an excuse...75 000km mean they no longer give a shit about what gets traded in and sold to the next sucker...#bmwmarketing

So from what they are telling us is we are better off buying a used BMW from a dealer with under 75000km as it would get the full check and not just a roadworthy.

Seems that way. I was a bit shocked as well. I'd never heard of this supposed 75000km thing before.

Even when I was originally planning to buy another car from a private seller, my bank wanted a 20 point check etc etc. This is pretty lax of BMW. Every car in their dealership should be 100% checked to be at BMW standards before selling. It's almost as though if it's still in motor plan, they try get them gone as soon as possible and wait for the owner to find the problem.

17-05-2017, 10:29 AM
(17-05-2017 09:46 AM)LukeHawk Wrote:  
(17-05-2017 09:37 AM)Gizmo@GARAGE46 Wrote:  Amazing they always have an excuse...75 000km mean they no longer give a shit about what gets traded in and sold to the next sucker...#bmwmarketing

Seems that way. I was a bit shocked as well. I'd never heard of this supposed 75000km thing before.

Even when I was originally planning to buy another car from a private seller, my bank wanted a 20 point check etc etc. This is pretty lax of BMW. Every car in their dealership should be 100% checked to be at BMW standards before selling. It's almost as though if it's still in motor plan, they try get them gone as soon as possible and wait for the owner to find the problem.

First I have heard of this as well. Probably just a generic excuse. They absolutely have to do a proper check for motorplan transfer purposes. I am sure they will sort you out so HQ doesn't find out.

2012 F10 M5 Alpine White | Akrapovič Evolution Titanium | AC Schnitzer Suspension | ZCP Retrofit | M Performance Cosmetics
1974 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
2019 C200 AMG (Her's)
2020 .... Spawning in the depths of R'lyeh ....
17-05-2017, 10:35 AM
(17-05-2017 09:32 AM)LukeHawk Wrote:  So far so good guys. They replied very quickly and said it's definitely not right that that happened. Said something about because the car was over 75000km they didn't do the full 20 point check, they just do roadworthys, a level 1 inspection (or something like that) and handover, even though it's still under motorplan, which is why it must have fallen through the cracks.
They are going to get back to me again soon, but say they should be able to send me an OEM replacement rim.
Ty

Hmm... so the customer thinks they are buying a premium product that has been through all the necessary checks but that not the case? This means that BMW Approved doesn't mean jack sh*t if the car is over 75000km RedNo
17-05-2017, 01:17 PM
I think they classify the cars as Premium Select under 75000 kms? I get a lot of emails from dealers but mostly those are for cars with just a few thousand kms on.

Nonetheless glad to hear they might be sorting you with a new OEM.. Which I know costs R8k for the narrow!

Current:
'14 F30 335i MSport Alpine White III, Coral Red, Sat Nav, iDrive touch, PDC + reverse cam, Harman Kardon, N55 230wkw | 477wnm Rogue Performance Downpipe
'16 F30 318i LCI Manual, Alpine White III, Black Leather
[Image: banner final_1261154562_8282635603.png]
[Image: m_fanatic2_8387882621.jpg]
Mods: Optic Blue Lamin-X fogs, VPS light shields, CF Splitters, Mirrors, Ducktail spoiler, Aluminium interior trim upgrades...

Retired BMWs:
'12 F30 320d
'12 F20 118i
'09 E90 LCI 320i M-Sport
'07 E90 320i Excl
'91 E30 325iS Evo I
The following 1 user Likes cOlDFuSiOn's post:
abd_baker

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)