Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Conti vs Michelin
25-03-2017, 10:48 AM
RE: Conti vs Michelin
(25-03-2017 09:57 AM)Rory Wrote:  I feel so unqualified for this discussion, having only bought ~3.5 sets of tyres (between 4 cars) in my life. Are you all sales reps or just really old?

We burn through tyres Rollsmile at least I do! Need new ones on the 335i again 13 months old

Current:
'14 F30 335i MSport Alpine White III, Coral Red, Sat Nav, iDrive touch, PDC + reverse cam, Harman Kardon, N55 230wkw | 477wnm Rogue Performance Downpipe
'16 F30 318i LCI Manual, Alpine White III, Black Leather
[Image: banner final_1261154562_8282635603.png]
[Image: m_fanatic2_8387882621.jpg]
Mods: Optic Blue Lamin-X fogs, VPS light shields, CF Splitters, Mirrors, Ducktail spoiler, Aluminium interior trim upgrades...

Retired BMWs:
'12 F30 320d
'12 F20 118i
'09 E90 LCI 320i M-Sport
'07 E90 320i Excl
'91 E30 325iS Evo I
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Heh, I don't miss those times where I used to do 30k km in a year. I now do maybe 5k km in the year, all my cars combined.

PMs don’t work, so if I don’t reply I’m not being rude.
The following 1 user Likes Ratslaaf's post:
cOlDFuSiOn
25-03-2017, 01:40 PM
Maybe I missed it somewhere. Why not Bridgestone?
25-03-2017, 05:01 PM
(25-03-2017 10:41 AM)KevM Wrote:  Thanks for all the feedback guys. Should have probably been a bit more specific in terms of the comparison....Primacy 3 vs Sport Contact 3.
Must say i am surprised about some of the negative reviews on the contis...always regarded the sc as a good tyre.
My priority is comfort, milege, cost....based on this the Michelins seems to be in the lead.
Seems like i should also consider the Goodyear....was just concerned about this one as some reviews have indicated a bit of additional road noise on bumpy surfaces.

(24-03-2017 10:26 AM)WIDEOPN-X3 Wrote:  Sorry if I missed it but I didnt see the size tyre. (Edit - sorry I see it's a Sportpack so running the narrow / wide combo)

I have been running Goodyear Efficientgrip runflats on my X3 (F25 2.0d) for the last 160 000km. Yes you read correctly 160 000km. Current mileage is 176000km on a 2013 model !!

Back story, I bought the car as a demo with just under 6000km on the clock and it was fitted with 19" narrow / wide combo. Looked great, handled well but the wear on the inside of the rears due to the camber was a problem.

The first set of Contis that were OEM lasted until 16 000km when ironically the fronts were worn to canvass on the inside. This despite my having pointed out the wear when I got the car, the alignment having been checked and "adjusted to factory spec" by the Stealership.

I changed to the Goodyears then after I was persuaded by the Tyremart in Pinetown. I have been on them ever since.

The current set up is that I managed to change to 18" and equal size all round. Also an OEM rim. The currents set has 26000km on them and look to be about 40% worn.

Sorry for the longwinded story but this is important to get across. With the the 19" setup, I never got full wear out of the set because the inside of the rear tyres would wear out while there was still tread above the wear indicators on the outside and on the front tyres. I tried once with the first set to change only the rears and it was a disaster. The TC / centre diff (?) seemed to get confused and the traction control light would blink for nothing. I changed the fronts 2 days later and everything was perfect. So in summary, I never got full wear out of a set but still got 55 000km per set on the 19" set up.

With the 18" Goodyears now on, I am anticipating getting upwards of 65 000km from the set as there the wear pattern on all four tyres is uniform. I have not rotated front to rear and all seems fine.

Price wise, the Goodyears are in my view great value for money. The last set (ie the 18" set on now) was slightly cheaper than the Conti equivalent and significantly cheaper than Michelin / Pirelli.

They grip very well in the wet, disperse standing water fine in my opinion (maybe not as good as Michelin but nevertheless adequate) and grip well in the dry. Good braking efficiency too.

Its a very good tyre imho and worth a look.

Good luck with the choice.=)

PS: From the link on Tinuva'a post above:

Writing about the Pirelli CINTURATO P7 given 86% (245-50-18-W)
Driving on mostly country roads for 38000 average miles
My (2013) X3 xDrive 2.0d came with these tyres - just about to replace all 4 after 38k miles. Comfortable and quiet ride. Will replace with Goodyear EfficientGrip tyres as their label shows greater fuel efficiency (B instead of the Cinturato's C), the same wet grip grade (B) and lower noise (68dB vs the Pirelli's 71dB). Fingers crossed they live up to the good reviews.
tyre reviewed on 2016-03-31 11:08:32

There you go sir=)

Wow...65k km on a set is pretty good for this car.
How do you find the Goodyears in terms of comfort and noise....specifically on bumpy roads?

Kev the 19" I had on before were firm from a ride perspective but then with a low profile and rft sidewalls that's to be expected. There is an appreciable difference / improvement in ride quality with the 18" set up now on the car. Noise wise they're good. Refer to that quote in my original post.

Assuming that money is not the motovation here, i the decision comes down to sticking to what you know or going with something where you are relying on input from others.

All I can say is it am very happy with the Goodyear although I should add I have no issue with Michelin. They were my tyre sponsor for off road racing and I even had Michelin on my Bantam daily which I sold a few years backRollsmile
27-03-2017, 09:10 AM
(25-03-2017 10:41 AM)KevM Wrote:  Thanks for all the feedback guys. Should have probably been a bit more specific in terms of the comparison....Primacy 3 vs Sport Contact 3.
Must say i am surprised about some of the negative reviews on the contis...always regarded the sc as a good tyre.
My priority is comfort, milege, cost....based on this the Michelins seems to be in the lead.
Seems like i should also consider the Goodyear....was just concerned about this one as some reviews have indicated a bit of additional road noise on bumpy surfaces.

I would not fit a SC3... SC5 or SC6, only Conti's to consider. If the SC3 is your only option, I would also recommend Michelin.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content