Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Falken is SHIT!!
23-06-2014, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2014 04:50 PM by slotcars1.)
RE: Falken is SHIT!!
(23-06-2014 04:45 PM)Fordkoppie Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 04:31 PM)slotcars1 Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 03:12 PM)Fordkoppie Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 03:05 PM)moranor@axis Wrote:  exactly the same wear on the brigestones I have but I cant be sure of the cause because I got them second hand with a set of wheels

Did you get them as is, or did they become like that whilst in your possession?

I forgot to say that this is in the front.

Chris, I can bet that you have some toe in at the rear... that coupled with the natural negative camber of the beemers is your problem right there...

pretty certain of it...

You are quite correct in the fact that the rears did wear uniformly more towards the inners because of the negative camber. I am used to this sort of wear on cars with trailing arm IRS designs.

Except that this is in the front, and only "patches" along the circumference wore down like that.

Sh1t, then that stumps me... Funny how the mind works, when I saw that I immediately thought they were the rears.

I hope you find the problem, as there is nothing worse than spending a few k on new tyres just to find it happening again a few km's later...

Although patched wearing does point to the tyres themselves if your dampers are fine...

[Image: f8152268-dead-4fd1-a35b-8a34448d09b2_zps105d541d.jpg]

Medusa... 2004 E46 M3 | Carbon Black
2013 Hyundai i20 1.4 glide | Blue - Current

2006 polo 1.4i comfortline | Black - Sold
1998 e36 M3 | Aegean Blue - Sold
1996 e36 328i individual | Santorini Blue - Sold
2005 citi golf 1.4 | White - Sold

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2014, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2014 04:57 PM by Fordkoppie.)
(23-06-2014 04:40 PM)husain333@prominetix Wrote:  If I may:

The above tyre ware suggests 2 possible problems.
1. Incorrect tyre pressure
2. This being the likely one, incorrect alignment/camber setting.

Point number 2 however has another point. Majority of BMW drivers and me included have experienced this wear pattern which has nothing to do with the tyre but the camber adjustments and how standard it is set.
2 sets of TYRES on my 335 (ex. Ar) and a set on my 320d have rear wear like this. It is because of the setting and how BMW have done this.

FALKEN as a brand is a good brand with very positive reviews.
It is unfair to post a picture of the blown FALKEN and say that it is a crappy tyre.
I can post pictures of Michelin's bridge stones and even conti's with a blowout like that.

Tyre wear is normal and this wear we come across every day.
You don't want that wear go to a tiger wheel and request them to set you cambers straight and not a the degrees out OEM suggest but the handling will not be the same.

I am in no way trying to be or suggest that I am a know it all but simply saying that your review on the tyre is somewhat incorrect

There is no way on earth that incorrect alignment or pressures can cause patchy wear patterns.

If this car was not equipped with a working ABS, I would have said the wheels were locked up during cornering, or skidding sideways with the wheels stationary

Regarding the tyre that blew - It was a seemingly perfect tyre. They were inspected visually and pressures were verified followed directly by a top end run. It simply separated = rubbish

[Image: FordTappetcover1.jpg]
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
23-06-2014, 04:57 PM
(23-06-2014 04:51 PM)husain333@prominetix Wrote:  This is what my rear looks like as of yesterday when I took my wheels of to do a tyre change.
It's a BMW thing not a tyre thing.

[Image: image.jpg]

this is normal were for a BMW I agree but look at the pics chris put up... they have a very deep groove about 1cm from the edge this is not normal

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
The following 1 user Likes moranor@axis's post:
Fordkoppie
23-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Yeah suffering with the same crap on my tyres as well...also falken 452's
23-06-2014, 05:17 PM
That actually looks like a weak tyre carcass if you had to ask me.

[Image: M_logo.png]ad [Image: M_logo.png]an
23-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Falken is SHIT!!
Judging by the circumference times the rotational mass coupled by the negative bla bla....

Shit tyres perform, well....shitty.
23-06-2014, 06:21 PM
(23-06-2014 05:17 PM)H|TM@N Wrote:  That actually looks like a weak tyre carcass if you had to ask me.

If that is the suspected case, then go back (with invoice) to the original place of purchase.
A representative from Stamford tyres (Falken SA) will come to investigate, and if it is determined to be a manufacturing fault, a credit will be given back (-) minus approx usage % towards a replacement tyre.

In almost 2 years being a Falken supplier, I have seen every other brand with side wall bubbles, side wall failure, tread seperation and various other failures come into the shop, but have yet to see a Falken return.

As I see it Falken is very under-rated in the budget to normal tyre range, but are not yet "on-par" with the major manufacturers when it comes to "performance" tyres, which is why Falken's are still competitively priced in the "upper-budget" tyre group...a similar set of Conti, Bridgestone or Yokohama could be up to 50% more expensive, for what is essentially being used for "town-driving", but if you want peace of mind for high speed and performance, grip etc, then rather put down the bigger bucks and go for a set of Conti/Pirelli/Michellin etc,
even then as shown by the previous posters on this thread, even these "Big-Brands" suffer their own problems.

Falken are constantly trying to improve their product as can be seen on their European involvement in racing and drift car series, and recently launching their first RFT's in Europe as well.

Their first entry into the "performance tyre" market was the FK452, which has subsequently been discontinued, as it didn't meet their expectations, but has been superceeded by the FK453, which so far seems to be performing better.

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
The following 2 users Like Ralf*'s post:
Fordkoppie, YUBEN
23-06-2014, 06:52 PM
What was the load rating for those tyres?
23-06-2014, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2014 07:22 PM by Ralf*.)
(23-06-2014 04:50 PM)Fordkoppie Wrote:  Regarding the tyre that blew - It was a seemingly perfect tyre. They were inspected visually and pressures were verified followed directly by a top end run. It simply separated = rubbish

what tyre was this ?
What is the "TOP END RUN" speed you mention here ?
What was the load and speed rating on the tyre ?

If I hear a client mention that he wants to do some "performance driving" / "high speed runs", then I woudn't suggest anything less than the FK453, anything less and I walk away from their decision.

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
23-06-2014, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2014 07:42 PM by Rommies.)
I have seen guys put on brand new tires and they have balancing issues. Their rims and everything is in perfect order/condition but as soon as they put that tires on, there is balancing issues. They replaced the tires and voila.....everything balances. It happens.....maybe it was in your case Chris?

PS: I just replaced my Achilles tires with the TOYO PROXES T1 Sport and WOW...what a difference in grip/handling/road noise and comfort.

Lesson learnt....I will not go with a cheap/crappy tires for a high performance car ever again. Spend that extra 5k and just get the right stuff.

2016 Focus RS
Click: Youtube Channel
Click: Build Thread
The following 3 users Like Rommies's post:
David1, Executer, Fordkoppie
24-06-2014, 12:26 AM
(23-06-2014 07:41 PM)Rommies Wrote:  I have seen guys put on brand new tires and they have balancing issues. Their rims and everything is in perfect order/condition but as soon as they put that tires on, there is balancing issues. They replaced the tires and voila.....everything balances. It happens.....maybe it was in your case Chris?

PS: I just replaced my Achilles tires with the TOYO PROXES T1 Sport and WOW...what a difference in grip/handling/road noise and comfort.

Lesson learnt....I will not go with a cheap/crappy tires for a high performance car ever again. Spend that extra 5k and just get the right stuff.

and where did u find these TOYO PROXES ?
in the next couple of weeks i need to remove the 275/35/18 and 245/40/18 off
of my car and replace with 255 and 235/225 respectively...

but after i see this i dont think i will try falken...
24-06-2014, 01:34 AM
Falken is SHIT!!
With all the above being said regarding bmws camber and not getting TWT to do alignment, where do you guys take your cars for this to conform to bmw specs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
24-06-2014, 07:29 AM
I've had similar experience with Falken's... wear issues. Noisy. Kak. I'd stick with Toyo's anyday.

[Image: mysig.jpg]
24-06-2014, 07:41 AM
I have no dog in this fight so my comments are based on my experience with Chris's meticulous attention to detail having driven most of his cars.

If he says that alignment was correct and pressures were correct I'd stick my head on a block that they were correct.

One has to see the condition of the cars he drives and one has to know what type of driver he is.

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~ Winston Churchill
The following 4 users Like Peter@AEW's post:
Blue Shirt, calypso, Fordkoppie, moranor@axis
24-06-2014, 08:49 AM
where can we get TOYO's ?

im researching replacement and my other option would be
pilot sports.... but cost is slightly prohibitive
24-06-2014, 08:59 AM
(24-06-2014 07:41 AM)a1exander Wrote:  I have no dog in this fight so my comments are based on my experience with Chris's meticulous attention to detail having driven most of his cars.

If he says that alignment was correct and pressures were correct I'd stick my head on a block that they were correct.

One has to see the condition of the cars he drives and one has to know what type of driver he is.

If anything, Chris's car's tyres should wear on the outside shoulder and not on the inside shoulder. Fencelook

There are two things you don't compromise on: Brakes and tyres.

The following 2 users Like H|TM@N's post:
haXor, Peter@AEW
24-06-2014, 09:00 AM
(24-06-2014 07:41 AM)a1exander Wrote:  I have no dog in this fight so my comments are based on my experience with Chris's meticulous attention to detail having driven most of his cars.

agree 100%

24-06-2014, 09:03 AM
(24-06-2014 08:49 AM)anton-sa Wrote:  where can we get TOYO's ?

im researching replacement and my other option would be
pilot sports.... but cost is slightly prohibitive

Minty's are the only stockists of Toyo tyres as far as I know.

24-06-2014, 09:12 AM
(24-06-2014 07:41 AM)a1exander Wrote:  and one has to know what type of driver he is.

One who causes "alignment issues" Fencelook

Only in this case I plead innocent, because it has worn on the wrong side.

Ralf - thanks for your guidance, but I bought both cars with these tyres already attached and they have seen their fair share of abuse. I dont know where they were purchased. A tyre rep will simply laugh at any daunting claim, because they are very closely related to insurance assessors. I am not even going to waste my time.

I have never and will never buy these tyres myself. If I do get them attached on a set of wheels or car, I will simply in future follow the below analogy:

"Treat all tyres like they deserve to die" - Chris Harris

[Image: FordTappetcover1.jpg]
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
24-06-2014, 09:32 AM
(23-06-2014 07:21 PM)Ralf@Speedway Motorsport Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 04:50 PM)Fordkoppie Wrote:  Regarding the tyre that blew - It was a seemingly perfect tyre. They were inspected visually and pressures were verified followed directly by a top end run. It simply separated = rubbish

what tyre was this ?
What is the "TOP END RUN" speed you mention here ?
What was the load and speed rating on the tyre ?

If I hear a client mention that he wants to do some "performance driving" / "high speed runs", then I woudn't suggest anything less than the FK453, anything less and I walk away from their decision.

So you would recommend the Falken FK453 for high speed driving?

Yup, Mintys are the only 1s who stock Toyo tyres. I intend to put Toyos on my car next

Current Cars:
2017 F80 M3 ZCP
1991 325iS - Henna Red, Link: http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=47188
2015 Kawasaki ZX10R 30TH Anniversary Edition... Greeeen!

Ex:
2012 Kawasaki ZX6R - Greeeen!
2011 P31 C63 - White, Link: http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=54942

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content