Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.18 Average
Anyone know a good mechanic/garage in N Subs Cape Town?
04-09-2017, 02:01 AM
RE: Anyone know a good mechanic/garage in N Subs Cape Town?
(12-08-2017 06:21 PM)MIZZ Wrote:  This thread has been quiet for a long time and I too was looking for an independent BMW mechanic in CT as I took my 750i to SMG Canal Walk with a rear door closing issue and found them to be the most unhelpful crowd imaginable and all they could come up with was book the car in for us to report on it at R900/hour! No thanks so came on here and glad I did!

Firstly, apart from the door issue needed a basic service and got a quote from Werkstatt, Parklands of R2985 (to include oil, filter at R1895, Inspection and reset services R995) When I picked the car up was told they Replaced brake fluid/vent brakes at R695 so final bill was R3585 and he quoted me R12600 for a new door lock inc fitting! I have a warranty on the car and any work done must be at a workshop that is RMI accredited and this guy at Werkstatt told me they were RMI members and it's all over his workshop office and even on his invoice but the warranty people told me he wasn't a member and so I nearly had the warranty disqualified by using him!

Also, before going in for the service there was a loud noise coming from the engine and a friend told me it sounded like my water pump so asked Werkstatt to quote on the problem which they did and also said it was the pump but now can't use them because of RMI membership so on Fri July 28th decided to get quotes at three or four places refered to on this forum and it turned out to be very interesting as follows:

1. Went to Fritz at Auto Care in Stikland as he'd got good reviews here but in asking for a quote he said it was a strip and see scenario as he thought it was more serious that the water pump and I must leave the car with him and it could take 3 weeks to repair! No thanks can't adhere to that!

2. APS - Anton in Stikland also as mentioned on here seems to know his stuff and said it was the water pump after using his 'stethoscope' to listen to the offending noise and said he would try and get a price for me later in the day but come Monday lunchtime still no prices so did what I never do and called APS back but the lady in the office had got no details of me although I gave them to her on the Friday and she said Anton will get back to me asap but still nothing until he called me Tues night and I said I need a quote asap to get the job done as I can't really use the car safely but he took far too long in quoting and so I told him I'd gone to another workshop.

3. 3 Service Centre, Stikland went there as I was in the area and they too said it was the water pump and gave me a quote on the Monday of R8854 I didn't use them as I went to Garage 808 in Bellville on my way home and glad I did!

4. Garage 808 - my last quote call on the Friday and he said it was the pump although he would report once he'd taken the pump out but they came back to me early on Monday with a detailed quote and they were RMI members so could get the job done through my warranty! They gave me a price of R1800 on a non BMW part and R4700 if I wanted the BMW water pump and the warranty co had done business with them before and so getting authorisation for the job was quite easy. I could only get a booking for Aug 10th and the car is with them right now and just waiting for the part to be delivered but should have the car back by next Tues but I'm happy with the way they have dealt with things so far and do look well organised but will sum up once the job is completed.

Hey MIZZ,

Could you please report on the service received when having your car done at Garage808.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2017, 07:50 AM
(04-09-2017 02:01 AM)Rush786 Wrote:  Hey MIZZ,

Could you please report on the service received when having your car done at Garage808.

Thanks
MIZZ looks like a member that only posted once here, so I don't think its ar egular member.

That said, I will give you a quick report on the service I always get from Garage808.

In short, they are a small run shop, the husband and wife are the owners. The husban Colin is the main mechanic, who started Garage808. Before this, he was one of the 2 main mechanics at BMW Forsdics Tygervalley (closed down, bought by SMG and now known as SMG Tygervalley). His wife Adele does all the admin work, and herself knows probably more about all the BMW cars and engines and parts that usually fail, more than most BMW owners in my opinion.

What I like the most about Garage808, is that I can send an email asking for an estimated quote on the service and any extra work I want done on my car. It may sometimes take a day or 2, but Adele always come back with a complete quote. Once you happy with the quote and pay a deposit, a booking day is secured. You make sure your car is there on the day, they do inspection and report back to you during the day. If it is urgent they will phone instead of email. Especially if something come up that they didn't expect without looking at the car first. And if it does, they will explain everything in detail, so that you know 100% what is going on.

Once done, they let you know the final invoice, you pay and go pick up your car. They won't wash your car, but they will look very good after it, for example they will put up the sun shade if you have one in the car.

When you leave there, the technical and mechanical issues will be top notch. Every time I leave there, my car is driving smoother than before.

There is very little fault you will find with a small garage like Garage808. The only thing I may want to see change (which I doubt), is to be able to pay with credit card. But this is something I will definitely overlook with the quality of service my vehicle gets. Then the only other issue you may have, is if you try to service a car here for the first time ever, and the mileage is over 200 000 km, then they will probably decline servicing the vehicle.

Where other non-BMW service shops will mess up your car (especially if you have a valve-tronic engine, the N## series and newer), Garage808 knows exactly how to sort out each issue. I have sat there and listened how Adele explained issues to customer's whose cars are non-runners when they get there, and I couldn't believe the detail Adele went in to, the way she talks, she may not be a mechanic, but she almost has the knowledge of one, and when there is a point a customer ask about and don't know, she double checks with Colin right there and then.

So all in all, 10/10 from me for Garage808.

In garage
01 BMW E46 330i 5-speed manual
03 BMW E46 318i N42 Manual
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
04-09-2017, 08:44 AM
I wish i could use Garage808 but i found a brilliant alternative.
For those close enough or willing to travel to Montague Gardens and have cars that Garage808 declines to work on , Mike Bridge Motors is the best alternative i have found.
I live closer to him than any of the other places that are suggested so i can't compare accurately but Mike is brilliant with the older cars and works on the latest models too, not expensive and also gives you detailed reports of what ever he is replacing or fixing, he will even call you to come to the workshop so he can show you the issue or broken damaged parts.
Very reasonable with pricing and won't change a part for no reason if its repairable.
Sometime if he can repair your part but doesn't have time he will swap it with a working part if he has it at no charge and fix your broken part later.
The following 1 user Likes bmw69's post:
RayMan101
04-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the tips guys,

I'll have to see where I'm going next

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content