Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N57 engine swap
Thanks guys
Muhammed

So I've started stripping out the block to make a very expensive coffee table...
Here's some of the devastation I found.

[Image: 20201122-100304.jpg]
[Image: 20201122-100300.jpg]
quotes about psalm of life
[Image: 20201122-095758.jpg]
[Image: 20201122-095455.jpg]
[Image: 20201122-095521.jpg]
[Image: 20201122-095244.jpg]
[Image: 20201122-095250.jpg]

Here I am trying to make sense of the situation...

Is it possible that these bearings had spun, weren't getting the oil they required and eventually this was the end result.

My thinking is that this may have happened over some time. Although I'd think that I would have heard if it was knocking etc. Not that I know what that would sound like.

Obviously I played a role here too, driving at high speed.
Muhammed

The following 1 user Likes muhammedman's post:
  • Regal
Yikes! Those bearings look terrible! It was probably just a matter of time.

Did you inspect the oil pick up for metal shavings/debris that could have clogged it, thus starving the engine of oil? Also, have you inspected the oil filter?

I suppose you are correct that it happened over time and I'm guessing you weren't the first owner. Things to consider would then be the oil change intervals as well as the viscosity of the oil used. The former would be the bigger culprit.

What was the mileage of the engine when the failure occured?

Diesels are by nature lower revving engines, which means less wear and tear by means of less friction. So in general, I can't see that speeding would have that effect on bearings. It's not as if a diesel wil rev to 7000/8000 rpm when pushed a bit. I do however think that the fact that you were driving fast played a role in your specific case and at that point in time, because the bearings were most likely already worn.
In agreement with the above...
I've owned the car for 3 months, around 3000km and in that time did 2 oil changes just for peace of mind.

Kilos at the time of the incident was around 160000km

The oil i use in all my cars is HX 7 and Mann filters.

I also have a feeling that there was possibly neglect from the previous owner although when opening the engine there was no sludge at all.

Can't really confirm debris / shavings as after the failure, these could be found everywhere.

Also found that there was some white tipex writing on one of the rods leading me to believe that the engine was opened at some point. 

But again these are all just things playing at the back of my mind, trying to make sense of this.
Muhammed

ooohhh the white tippex thing has me feeling some type of way...i think that could be the answer to this mess.
CURRENT: BMW E36 M3 Coupe PROJECT...plan.. 18" EwingEquips & TURBO
CURRENT: BMW 330i individual..Arizona Sun on 19's
CURRENT: DATSUN PB210 aka BIN aka "Z" Coupe 2L on EwingEmotions
CURRENT: AUDI A5 on 20" Concavos
CURRENT: Rothmans VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
CURRENT: Repsol VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
EX: BMW 330i, BMW 330i, Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vogue, FORD XR6 & RS Turbo, OPEL Monza 200iCD16V, Toyota GLi Exec, VTEC, ALFA Giulietta & GT Junior stepnose, a few mingers
sounds like someone sold you a ticking time bomb .....3000km is really not alot of mileage that you added, previous owners probably drove the car with a heavy foot before the oil had a chance to warm up causing the bearings to perish like that........but its all speculation and he said, she said, right? In the end, whilst an expensive exercise, atleast you came out of the ordeal safely and you had the means to replace the motor and have some peace of mind that the car is good to go for another xxxxxx Kilometres
i would def mention to the previous owner. i would tell them what happened and say when the engine was opened you saw that it was rebuilt and had tippex on the rod etc.
CURRENT: BMW E36 M3 Coupe PROJECT...plan.. 18" EwingEquips & TURBO
CURRENT: BMW 330i individual..Arizona Sun on 19's
CURRENT: DATSUN PB210 aka BIN aka "Z" Coupe 2L on EwingEmotions
CURRENT: AUDI A5 on 20" Concavos
CURRENT: Rothmans VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
CURRENT: Repsol VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
EX: BMW 330i, BMW 330i, Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vogue, FORD XR6 & RS Turbo, OPEL Monza 200iCD16V, Toyota GLi Exec, VTEC, ALFA Giulietta & GT Junior stepnose, a few mingers
@muhammedman On a side note : did you do the police clearance? If so, may I ask what the costs were?
Still haven't done police clearance... need to get that sorted soon.
Don't even know the process yet ... lol
Muhammed