Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
M2 Comp vs F80 M3 vs AMG GT
14-01-2020, 09:31 PM,
RE: M2 Comp vs F80 M3 vs AMG GT
(14-01-2020, 03:56 PM)IWannaGoFast Wrote: I test drove a M2c back to back with the M4c. They really feel like completely different cars.

And for me at least it's not all about straight line speed. The feel of the M4 is much better. It's more spacious as well.

I love the dynamics of the M2 but the M4 just has a better road presence I think and I like the way it handles vs the M2.

Also drove a C63s today. Feels super heavy compared to the M cars. The V8 sound is something else though.

The other downside of the AMG GT as well is that it actually has a detuned engine. Any new c63 will give it a run and the E63 will absolutely smoke it. Sad.

Thats why driving a car is so NB!!! i also drove the M4 and M2C back to back and much preferred the M2, M4 felt a bit big but at the same time i can feel that way as i don't need the extra space, if that makes sense haha..

Agreed on the C63s, the V8's have such a different feel and pull, but it does feel super heavy, like a muscle car basically

2019 M2 Competition
2012 C63 AMG
2012 Range Rover Sport
2010 Audi A3
2013 135i DCT (Sold)
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2020, 09:35 PM,
For me the M2 Comp is a better handling car on the edge compared to the M4 Comp. The M4 is a bit twitchy and can catch you out if you're not awake. The M2 Comp is so easy to slide around and it makes you want to slide around every corner. The M4 will make you think twice about doing the same. The M3 is a very nice balance between the two.
The following 1 user Likes BMW Freak's post:
Harris27
14-01-2020, 09:46 PM,
(14-01-2020, 03:56 PM)IWannaGoFast Wrote: I test drove a M2c back to back with the M4c. They really feel like completely different cars.

And for me at least it's not all about straight line speed. The feel of the M4 is much better. It's more spacious as well.

I love the dynamics of the M2 but the M4 just has a better road presence I think and I like the way it handles vs the M2.

Also drove a C63s today. Feels super heavy compared to the M cars. The V8 sound is something else though.

The other downside of the AMG GT as well is that it actually has a detuned engine. Any new c63 will give it a run and the E63 will absolutely smoke it. Sad.

Interesting that the original thread was M2 vs M3 vs AMG GT but you ended up with neither of them and decided on the M4. Just out of curiosity, what made you go for the M4 over the M3?
15-01-2020, 08:12 AM,
(14-01-2020, 09:35 PM)BMW Freak Wrote: For me the M2 Comp is a better handling car on the edge compared to the M4 Comp. The M4 is a bit twitchy and can catch you out if you're not awake. The M2 Comp is so easy to slide around and it makes you want to slide around every corner. The M4 will make you think twice about doing the same. The M3 is a very nice balance between the two.

It’s interesting that you think this. From what I know about dynamics is that the longer the wheelbase the more controlled it is under rotation, but harder to get under rotation, the shorter the wheelbase the “Snappier” it is (so easier to rotate) but harder to maintain.

So the M2 should be easy to start slide but harder to maintain. M4 should be harder to start slide but should be more progressive to control.

M3 has the same length and wheelbase as the M4 so dynamics would be similar if not the same. The M4 May be more rigid having only 2 doors.

Unless I have the above all wrong and back to front.

Most people won’t get to drive the cars at that limit anyway and definitely not during a test drive.
15-01-2020, 08:32 AM,
(15-01-2020, 08:12 AM)ChrisPy Wrote:
(14-01-2020, 09:35 PM)BMW Freak Wrote: For me the M2 Comp is a better handling car on the edge compared to the M4 Comp. The M4 is a bit twitchy and can catch you out if you're not awake. The M2 Comp is so easy to slide around and it makes you want to slide around every corner. The M4 will make you think twice about doing the same. The M3 is a very nice balance between the two.

It’s interesting that you think this. From what I know about dynamics is that the longer the wheelbase the more controlled it is under rotation, but harder to get under rotation, the shorter the wheelbase the “Snappier” it is (so easier to rotate) but harder to maintain.

So the M2 should be easy to start slide but harder to maintain. M4 should be harder to start slide but should be more progressive to control.

M3 has the same length and wheelbase as the M4 so dynamics would be similar if not the same. The M4 May be more rigid having only 2 doors.

Most people won’t get to drive the cars at that limit anyway and definitely not during a test drive.

It helps when you get to drive them all on a regular basis. I've driven both the M3 Comp and M4 Comp around the track and they definitely handle different. But living with the M2 Comp i can say from my experience, it's a more predictable car at the limit compared to the M4 Comp.
15-01-2020, 08:44 AM,
(14-01-2020, 09:46 PM)TN003 Wrote:

Interesting that the original thread was M2 vs M3 vs AMG GT but you ended up with neither of them and decided on the M4. Just out of curiosity, what made you go for the M4 over the M3?

The reason I'm looking at the M4 is that my wife and I plan on having a child in the next few years, SO It's now or never for the coupe.

His : E92 325i
Hers : F20 M140i
15-01-2020, 08:48 AM,
(15-01-2020, 08:32 AM)BMW Freak Wrote:
(15-01-2020, 08:12 AM)ChrisPy Wrote:

It helps when you get to drive them all on a regular basis. I've driven both the M3 Comp and M4 Comp around the track and they definitely handle different. But living with the M2 Comp i can say from my experience, it's a more predictable car at the limit compared to the M4 Comp.

From my test drive ChrisPy hit the nail on the head, The M4 is much more progressive, you can choose when you want the back end to snap out while the M2's backend is always out when power is down.

Another thing to consider is the M2 has a fixed suspension and the M4c has adaptive, so it has a more comfortable drive mode when cruising

His : E92 325i
Hers : F20 M140i
15-01-2020, 09:00 AM,
AMG GT, no brainer, and this coming from an M Fanatic.

Look, sound, cred, hold value better and fast enough for sure.