Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixing RFT and non-RFT
05-09-2019, 11:16 AM
Mixing RFT and non-RFT
Hi guys,

I tried doing a search but nothing came up...anyway, while travelling from Kimberley to Bloemfontein this past weekend I noticed a vibration between 120km/h and 140km/h, which obviously led me to believe that I might have struck something and needed to have my wheels balanced. While at the tyre place, I was called and shown a crack/cut across the width of the left front tyre which looked to be superficial. However, they continued with the balancing and I went on my way. Since I was quite busy at work this week I only got a chance to test it last night and to my surprise the vibration was still there and this time around it was actually worse. So I'm guessing I wold need to have this replaced, however I was thinking of replacing the rft's with non-rft's and at this point I can replace the front 2 without breaking the bank and then do the rear's next month. Would it be safe to run them like this? Fencelook

BTW I was quoted R1500 for a rft and R800 for a non-rft...

[Image: engine_bay_1_8592559248.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2019, 11:36 AM
RE: Mixing RFT and non-RFT
From my personal experience on my previous 330D at the time I had Pirelli rft's all around when I bought the car, the one front tyre had a bubble which started to split.

At the time I done a whole lot of research and everyone recommended not to mix rft's with non-rft's because it would ruin the handling and the car who feel unstable at highway speeds.

My wallet did not allow rft at the time and I put two non-rft only, leaving my rear rft. Never had an issue nor did it affect my handling at low or high speeds.

Just my personal experience others may have a different opinion but I never had any issues Thumbs

Current: E92 335i N54 (Rennzport Tuned)
Daily: 9n3 Polo 1.9TDI SL

Ex:
Pre LCI E90 330D (RK Motion Tuned), 9n3 Polo 1.9TDI SL, Golf 1 Velociti (2L 8v fully worked), Corsa Utility 1.7DTI
05-09-2019, 11:49 AM
Personally felt no difference when I did this.

Tyre store and Pirelli reps told me that it will drive weirdly.

Current: F10 520D M Sport
Current: Audi A4 B8.5 1.8T
Ex: E92 325i M LCI
Ex: E90 323i Exclusive LCI
Ex: E90 320i Individual LCI
[Image: untitled_2669864230.jpg]
05-09-2019, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2019 12:27 PM by StrollingCoal.)
Thanks for the responses, I can't see that it would handle weirdly if you have 2 of the same tyres on one axis. Fortunately it will only be for 3 weeks and then I will be able to do the other 2...

Now to source a mobility kit and/or spare wheel as well...@Riaad how's those classifieds looking Fencelook

The following 1 user Likes StrollingCoal's post:
SubLoaded
05-09-2019, 12:38 PM
(05-09-2019 12:25 PM)StrollingCoal Wrote:  Thanks for the responses, I can't see that it would handle weirdly if you have 2 of the same tyres on one axis. Fortunately it will only be for 3 weeks and then I will be able to do the other 2...

Now to source a mobility kit and/or spare wheel as well...@Riaad how's those classifieds looking Fencelook

Just buy a few cans of tyre weld till you source a kit..

05-09-2019, 02:38 PM
I had 2 Eagle F1 run flats on the front of my E90 225 40 18

and 2 Nexen non run flats at the back 255 35 18

I had no issues with the car it ran fine at low and higher speeds without any weird road noise or anything, then eventually after the front tyres were worn i matched it with the rears

CURRENT: 2010 E90 LCI 325I M-SPORT
05-09-2019, 02:57 PM
I was quite worried that something would come up in the case of an accident. I checked with my insurance broker and she wasn't sure at the time if I'd have any issues with using two RTFs and two Non-RTFs. I'm with Hollard (or fnb insure)

I got a really decent price from Tigerwheel for a set of 17' Michelin Pilot Sports for about 6500 with alignment, etc. I ended up taking this as the deal seemed to be pretty decent and I was going to get four tyres anyway.

Also I noticed that Tigerwheel wrote on my quote "Client wants Non-RFTs regardless of advice." or something along the line. Putting the blame of my amazing new ride quality to me.

I've kept my two 50% thread RTFs just encase I ever have issues with tyres.

2015 BMW F30 320D - Alpine White III
[Image: unnamed6(1)_7154772114.jpg] [Image: rxnhe8u-2.jpg]
06-09-2019, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I replaced the 2 fronts with Achilles ATR sports which I got for R1k each. Although it was necessary to do this due to the crack/cut in the tyre (which appears to have gotten worse), it turns out my lca bushes are worn too. Is it advisable to replace the entire arm?

06-09-2019, 10:59 PM
(05-09-2019 12:25 PM)StrollingCoal Wrote:  Thanks for the responses, I can't see that it would handle weirdly if you have 2 of the same tyres on one axis. Fortunately it will only be for 3 weeks and then I will be able to do the other 2...

correct

two same tyres on the same axis, RFT or NON-RFT not a problem

the only difference you will notice, if you are an experienced driver, (F1 GP) is a softer, less solid feel, from which ever axis the NON RFT (normal) tyres are fitted on.
because
the sidewall on a normal tyre is less stiff/solid, and thus has more "leeway" which means it can feel softer.

The average driver (me) will only notice a more smoother comfortable ride quality, with less of the road coarse quality being transmitted into the car.

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content