Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Volvo V60 Cross Country D4 AWD Inscription Polestar
07-08-2019, 02:35 PM
RE: 2016 Volvo V60 Cross Country D4 AWD Inscription Polestar
Volvo lost their ways a short while back with styling and and and but I must say they are definitely back on the right track!
They have some of the best looking cars out at the moment and build quality is still damn good from the looks of things!

Congrats on the purchase, I look forward to more pics and reviews!
Many happy miles! Praise

EX:
e30 320i 2.9l stroker Astral Silver
e36 M3 Avus Blue
e34 M5 Calypso Red
e82 125i Space Grey
e82 135i Alpine White
Find all posts by this user
08-08-2019, 07:56 AM
Congrats Mr_Y.

We always knew that you were a pole star Tease

Nice write-up. Keen to hear what you have to say about it in a few months time after putting some KMs on it.

You should've remapped your 320d before changing up though! BlueCry

Current: F10 520D M Sport
Current: Audi A4 B8.5 1.8T
Ex: E92 325i M LCI
Ex: E90 323i Exclusive LCI
Ex: E90 320i Individual LCI
[Image: untitled_2669864230.jpg]
08-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Congrats, i also think that Volvo has got some really great designs of late.

No, no, he didn’t slam you, he didn’t bump you, he didn’t nudge you… he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin’. – Harry Hogge, Days of Thunder

Current Rides
2007 530d MSport (DP, 76mm exhaust, RK Motion tune, OEM M6 wheels)
2012 X1 2.0D MSport
1996 200 Si Camry
[Image: photo from sashchern_5592516823.jpg]
09-08-2019, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2019 10:28 PM by MR_Y.)
After a trip down the N3 yesterday, I can report:

- great mid-range power and overtaking ability. "Effortless" is the key work. Better than my 320d, but not quite at 30d levels. The gearbox only has 6 gears, so while it may not be the most modern box around, it does not not hunt and kicks down well when you need to point and shoot.

- fuel consumption is not this motor's strong point. Trip average was 8.5litres per 100km (down from JHB to KZN). I wasn't pushing it that often either.

- the steering feels hefty and the car grips well. At the limit, it does understeer slightly - as all Volvos do. But it is easy to carve through bends at a rapid pace. You do feel the weight and height of car, but not as bad as an SUV. "Planted", "Secure", "Controlled", "Precise" are words that spring to mind.

- drove down to KZN south coast on gravel roads and down many steep hills. The car has Hill Descent Control, when selecting 1st gear on the autobox. Works brilliantly. When going up hill, the low down torque, AWD and raised height makes progress effortless up gravel hills. Granted, these are not axle twister roads.

- driving fast (not crazy fast though) on gravel is a pleasure. The Pirelli Scorpions seems to do a good job of balancing on road and off road ability. I felt like I was playing Colin McRae Rally (PS1), on easy mode Bluebiggrin The 5 cylinder motor just sounds so good when you play with the gearbox - no paddles, just a very mechanical and solid sounding/feeling gear shifter - each up or down shift feels like you're snicking a Remington Bolt Action rifle.

- the infotainment system is very button heavy (this was one of the last models before Volvo fitted the tablet screens). Very difficult to use when driving at speed and, being unfamiliar with the layout, I was reaching subconsciously for an idrive controller. However, besides the interface, the system itself is pretty impressive. Sat Nav and traffic alerts/re-routing works well. The system even burns CDs and saves USBs to its internal HDD. Also, it allows playing of DVDs under 10kmh (not sure why this feature is even offered). Voice control commands are pretty intuitive and operates better than pressing the buttons. Harman Kardon audio system is top class.

- the build quality is impeccable. Not one rattle or squeak after driving up and down gravel roads - some of which were quite rutted. More impressive is the fact that this car is 3 years old and still feels brand new to drive.

- the active bending main beams worked brilliantly, when driving late at night past Umgababa (nototious section of N2 with poor night visibility). The sensors kept the lights high enough to illuminate the dark road, without blinding oncoming traffic.

Pics to follow.

After a trip down the N3 yesterday, I can report:

- great mid-range power and overtaking ability. "Effortless" is the key work. Better than my 320d, but not quite at 30d levels. The gearbox only has 6 gears, so while it may not be the most modern box around, it does not not hunt and kicks down well when you need to point and shoot.

- fuel consumption is not this motor's strong point. Trip average was 8.5litres per 100km (down from JHB to KZN). I wasn't pushing it that often either.

- the steering feels hefty and the car grips well. At the limit, it does understeer slightly - as all Volvos do. But it is easy to carve through bends at a rapid pace. You do feel the weight and height of car, but not as bad as an SUV. "Planted", "Secure", "Controlled", "Precise" are words that spring to mind.

- drove down to KZN south coast on gravel roads and down many steep hills. The car has Hill Descent Control, when selecting 1st gear on the autobox. Works brilliantly. When going up hill, the low down torque, AWD and raised height makes progress effortless up gravel hills. Granted, these are not axle twister roads.

- driving fast (not crazy fast though) on gravel is a pleasure. The Pirelli Scorpions seems to do a good job of balancing on road and off road ability. I felt like I was playing Colin McRae Rally (PS1), on easy mode Bluebiggrin The 5 cylinder motor just sounds so good when you play with the gearbox - no paddles, just a very mechanical and solid sounding/feeling gear shifter - each up or down shift feels like you're snicking a Remington Bolt Action rifle.

- the infotainment system is very button heavy (this was one of the last models before Volvo fitted the tablet screens). Very difficult to use when driving at speed and, being unfamiliar with the layout, I was reaching subconsciously for an idrive controller. However, besides the interface, the system itself is pretty impressive. Sat Nav and traffic alerts/re-routing works well. The system even burns CDs and saves USBs to its internal HDD. Also, it allows playing of DVDs under 10kmh (not sure why this feature is even offered). Voice control commands are pretty intuitive and operates better than pressing the buttons. Harman Kardon audio system is top class.

- the build quality is impeccable. Not one rattle ir squeaking after driving up and down gravel roads - some of which were quite rutted. More impressive is the fact that this car iswas 3 years old and still feels brand new to drive.

- the active bending main beams worked brilliant when driving late at night past Umgababa (nototious section of N2 with poor night visibility). The sensors kept the lights high enough to illuminate the dark road, without blinding oncoming traffic.

Pics to follow.

Current: 2016 Volvo V60 C.C. D4 AWD Polestar
Current (SO): 2016 Mazda CX5 2.0 Active Auto
Ex: 2017 320d M-Sport Sports Auto
Ex: 2013 Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
Ex (SO): 2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI SE Sedan (M)
Ex (SO): 2011 Ford Focus 1.8Si (M)
Ex: 2010 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Ambition (M)
Ex: 2007 Volvo C30 2.0i (M)
Ex: 2005 Opel Astra Classic 1.6i Club (M)

[Image: 944468.png]
The following 1 user Likes MR_Y's post:
raks16
10-08-2019, 08:19 PM
[Image: img_20190809_223017_8941138852.jpg]

Current: 2016 Volvo V60 C.C. D4 AWD Polestar
Current (SO): 2016 Mazda CX5 2.0 Active Auto
Ex: 2017 320d M-Sport Sports Auto
Ex: 2013 Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
Ex (SO): 2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI SE Sedan (M)
Ex (SO): 2011 Ford Focus 1.8Si (M)
Ex: 2010 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Ambition (M)
Ex: 2007 Volvo C30 2.0i (M)
Ex: 2005 Opel Astra Classic 1.6i Club (M)

[Image: 944468.png]
The following 2 users Like MR_Y's post:
that_guy_Ettiene, TS_
11-08-2019, 07:10 AM

[Image: img-20180519-wa0003_2319316715.jpg]

2013 BMW 320i M Sport
176kw on the wheels
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: