Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
What products are you using to clean your car?
18-06-2019, 10:56 PM
What products are you using to clean your car?
No problem. I grew up washing cars with my dad. One bucket sunlight, one bucket clean water, one chamois.

I did this routine until the day I bought a black car with “paint protection” added to the deal. Didn’t take long for that protection to fall away and the paint to get chewed up by Jhb.

From there I had white and silver cars again and the normal car soap did the trick. Getting the Z made me change my washing ways completely.

Worth every second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2019, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2019 07:05 AM by JonesMB.)
RE: What products are you using to clean your car?
And if we're talking about leaf blowers for cleaning the interior, I would mention an excellent model called WORX WG510 (one of these: https://cozyhousetoday.com/best-leaf-vac...-review/), that always helps me to put out every single piece of everything out of the car, and that's why I prefer use it not just for my leaves on backyard or cleaning patio.
19-06-2019, 07:35 AM
(18-06-2019 04:46 PM)Kyle Wrote:  
(09-06-2019 09:40 AM)MR_Y Wrote:  I used to wash the earlier cars (see my signature below) by hand and always used Meguiars products. Can't recall the exact product derivatives. I remember using the the shampoo, wax, tyre and rim cleaner and the leather cream.
I would spend an entire Sunday meticulously cleaning my pride and joy - especially om my Astra Classic and my C30.

About 8 years ago, when I started getting more dings and scratches due to idiots in parking lots and small flying debris on the highways (the ones that cause little stone chips on the bonnet), I began to lose interest investing so much time and effort in cleaning or preserving my car. I now pay a car wash to wash my car once a month and to perform a full polish and leather treatment every 4 or 6 months.

If (or when) I get a weekend only car, I would go back to my old routine. For an everyday driver, the full routine is not worth it for me.

Not sure if I agree with this logic, there are some things out of our control, like parking lot dents / scratches etc... Shouldn't really be a reason to neglect your car, or create further damage by sending it to the car wash after a month of collecting dirt.

Having said that, if you aren't following the correct process at home then you may as well use a car wash...

Let's consider the two highlighted parts of your reply above:

1. "neglect"
Washing a car once a month does not imply neglect.
If the car does have bird crap (or any paint destroying residue) on it, that should be removed immediately and one should not wait for a full wash.
Similarly, if the car looks dirty to the average Joe, it should be cleaned.
My car looks fine most of the month (unless I belt it on gravel roads), so that is why I am happy with a once a month full wash.

2. "create further damage by sending it to the car wash"
Depends on which car you wash you go to. I agree that there a lot of crap ones out there who will either scratch your paintwork or break something.

Current: 2016 Volvo V60 C.C. D4 AWD Polestar
Current (SO): 2016 Mazda CX5 2.0 Active Auto
Ex: 2017 320d M-Sport Sports Auto
Ex: 2013 Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
Ex (SO): 2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI SE Sedan (M)
Ex (SO): 2011 Ford Focus 1.8Si (M)
Ex: 2010 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Ambition (M)
Ex: 2007 Volvo C30 2.0i (M)
Ex: 2005 Opel Astra Classic 1.6i Club (M)

[Image: 944468.png]
The following 1 user Likes MR_Y's post:
Kyle
19-06-2019, 08:43 AM
I understand why people use sunlight, I also gre up using an old rag and a small bucket of sunlight to wash cars with.. It's a really strong cleaner, but therein lies the problem.

Dishwashing liquid is designed to basically act as a degreaser, so as stated previously, it will strip off whatever protection is on your paint. Assuming that sunlight is the only soap that you use, your paint will definitely have been unprotected for a while, meaning the sunlight is now working away at your clear coat.

With regards to cheap shampoos (ie. Shield wash and wax), they have thickening agents which give the illusion of extra suds while not providing enough lubrication to safely pull dirt off the paint.

[Image: Dkiod9r.jpg]

Current:
'11 BMW E90 320d MSport
'09 BMW E90 320i Exclusive

Ex:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual, '02 BMW E39 525i Individual, '06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon, '03 S3 8L, '11 A3 1.6TDi, '70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port '00 A4 2.4 V6, '09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T, 2013 Vivo Gran Turismo, E36 M3 Coupe, E46 320i Individual MSport, '98 Civic V Tec, E36 318is Msport, E30 318i Coupe,GOLF MK1 GT

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content