Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warden to Secunda
03-06-2019, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2019 11:14 AM by Solo Man.)
Warden to Secunda
Guys, on my planned trip back from Durban in the next few days I may have to travel via Warden, Vrede, Standerton to Secunda to pick up a friend but was wondering what the road condition is like on that part of the route? Any one driven that road recently care to comment? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2019, 11:52 AM
RE: Warden to Secunda
Road conditions are awesome with the new N17

I will be on the other side if anybody needs me Bluebiggrin
03-06-2019, 04:21 PM
Last time I drove the section from Warden to where you take the turn to Standerton that section of road was poor. I haven't driven it recently. From the turn onto the Memel road it's good and then where you branch off to Standerton its fine. I did a route survey for a transformer to Sasol Secunda last year. Can review it for you if you need. PM me
04-06-2019, 09:12 AM
Just to clear up, i want to take the N3 past Warden and turn off on the R103 towards Vrede and turn right onto the R34 to Vrede. Then take the R546 beyond Vrede towards Standerton and then from there stay on the R546 to Secunda. What are these roads like?
04-06-2019, 09:51 AM
No idea but sounds like an awesome drive...which car you gonna use?
Thumbs

[Image: twinzsig_5365414051.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Will be taking the X3. Have had it mapped after i decatted it and then had the swirl flaps out and cleaned the very dirty manifold and egr. Also saw a Youtube video about disabling the egr by removing a single wire from the plug to the egr activator. Hope to average about 13km/l or better with the 3l diesel???? Going from Hermanus to Bloem to Durbs to Secunda to Upington and then back home again. Looking forward to this trip. Really need to know what the road is like from Warden onwards as i hate potholed roads. Car has 18 inch non run flats on but they are quite hard riding (at 2,3 bar) and they do not like ruts and hobbles and holes in the road!
The following 1 user Likes Solo Man's post:
Twinz
04-06-2019, 12:41 PM
(04-06-2019 11:15 AM)Solo Man Wrote:  Will be taking the X3. Have had it mapped after i decatted it and then had the swirl flaps out and cleaned the very dirty manifold and egr. Also saw a Youtube video about disabling the egr by removing a single wire from the plug to the egr activator. Hope to average about 13km/l or better with the 3l diesel???? Going from Hermanus to Bloem to Durbs to Secunda to Upington and then back home again. Looking forward to this trip. Really need to know what the road is like from Warden onwards as i hate potholed roads. Car has 18 inch non run flats on but they are quite hard riding (at 2,3 bar) and they do not like ruts and hobbles and holes in the road!

Solo the section from Warden (R103) to where you turn to Vrede / Memel (R34) is the section that was bad with potholes and in some places the tare deeply rutted from trucks. The section is about 50km so not too far. Just take it easy on that section and you should be fine. Don't recommend that at night. Final comment is that I last drove it almost 12 months ago to the day. A lot could have changed for better or worse. The R546 was fine from Vrede to Standerton
04-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info. Will be travelling by day so will be on the lookout for potholes. Thanks again!
17-06-2019, 07:53 AM
Just to say thank you to all the info i received regarding roads to Secunda. Did the trip over the last two weeks and was very fortunate in not having any problems whatsoever with the car or roads. Some close calls though! Traveling from Secunda to Upington on the N12 (i think) just outside of Joburg on the Potch side there is a robot clothed in absolute darkness (was about six in the morning and pitch dark with rows of cars going toward Joburg). Markings on the road about non existant and no signs either. Was doing about 80 as per limits and car in right lane was turning right at this dark (non working) robot. I was in left lane fortunately and braked when i saw this car turning. Next moment realized it was a robot and braked like mad. Fortunately no cars directly behind me. Close call as there was already a car in the crossing coming from the right. Anyway, got an average of 14.14km/l (about 7l/100kms) over the distance of the trip (4600kms). Best was just under 15kms/l and worst was just under 13kms/l. Really enjoyed the trip! Thanks again for the advice given.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content