Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E46 320d 2001 136hp not starting after stalling
17-01-2020, 01:49 PM,
RE: E46 320d 2001 136hp not starting after stalling
(17-01-2020, 12:51 AM)Buck Rogers Wrote: Note that the car can start even if the solenoid with the bare wires is not operating. The car will just sound like a tractor and wokn't accelerate, that is what I read on some other website.

so the background on my car is : it was driven , the car had full power
no stuttering at all , the car was parked and later the same day it would not start

my question is why is there no pressure when we did the finger on the injector pipe test ? there is no way that mechanical failure happened without the car loosing power , or stuttering

i Had the same error as you

70 Control unit Injection pump (communication)

Error frequency: 33
Engine speed 211.50 [1/min]
Fuel temperature Injection pump 0.00 [Grad C]
Betriebstundenzaehler (translated to hour meter) 6502.40 h
Engine speed 6502.40 [1/min]
Fuel temperature Injection pump 6502.40 [Grad C]
Betriebstundenzaehler (translated to hour meter) 6502.40 h
CAN-Bus Reception fault
Error currently not available
Errorcode: 46 08 21 09 28 45 F3 00 00 00 00

This error did not reappear when i cranked the car

my bottom line is , what is the reason for the pressure loss ?
and that the pump lost COMs at the time of failure ?

i got my money on those bare wires that me and you both have ,

"Have you checked voltage at the wires going down to the metering solenoid when the ignition is turned on?"

ill borrow a O-Scope and capture the current drawn
https://autoditex.com/page/vp44-fuel-met...-31-1.html

Do you have any idea where I can purchase a working metering solenoid?
ebay ? i wonder if there is an aftermarket one
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2020, 02:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 18-01-2020, 11:44 PM by Buck Rogers.)
zicha12 I am glad you and I are in the same boat. My car also ran fine even with the shorted wire. She did sound a bit like a tractor when idling. My wife had an identical car and hers never made so much noise and had better pull and fuel economy.

I bet yours also has a failed metering solenoid.

I did mention in a previous post that I indeed have almost 12v voltage at the wires that go to the metering solenoid. Without that solenoid working, you will have almost no pressure.

I do have an oscilloscope but not sure how to hook it on to confirm operation. As far as I know the engine should be running when running the oscilloscope test, how else will it generate an oscillating pulse?

When the solenoid coil collapses the car simply dies. It is the same effect as when the PSG5 control unit on top of the pump fails. Apparently the PSG5 control unit is pretty robust and doesn't fail as often as claimed

As to where to purchase the metering solenoid, I contacted a few places today and ended up with Bosch in Potchefstroom. The guy told me they sell them loose, he just needs the part number to verify the price. They range from R1500.00 to R2500.00. I was so glad to hear that.

Have a look at this site:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/BOSCH-VP44-Diesel...2e20c7b3fe

This guy is from Bulgaria and claims he can repair the coil. Follow the 12 pictures he added to his ad. The coil seems very simple to remove. If he could do it so can I. He replaces the coil wire with same gauge wire and adds epoxy and bakes the solenoid at 80C for six hours.
18-01-2020, 12:04 PM,
(18-01-2020, 02:01 AM)Buck Rogers Wrote: I do have an oscilloscope but not sure how to hook it on to confirm operation. As far as I know the engine should be running when running the oscilloscooe test, how else will it generate an oscillating pulse?

you'd use a current clamp to see the current draw

Quote:As to where to purchase the metering solenoid, I contacted a few places today and ended up with Bosch in Potchefstroom. The guy told me they sell them loose, he just needs the part number to verify the price. They range from R1500.00 to R2500.00. I was so glad to hear that.

This is good to hear that bosh stocks them

Quote:This guy is from Bulgaria and claims he can repair the coil. Follow the 12 picture he added to his ad. The coil seems very simple to remove. If he could do it so can I. He replaces the coil wire with same gauge wire and adds epoxy and bakes the solenoid at 80C for six hours.

i guess its the Wire Gauge and the coil turns that would matter
looking at the pictures , it could be done

but i would rather head to bosh and buy a new one for 2K