Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BMW E87 116i Can't Reset Oil Service
28-04-2018, 10:41 AM
angry BMW E87 116i Can't Reset Oil Service
I have an E87 116i with 374,000km. Yesterday my mechanic did an oil service, and the car wouldn't allow us to reset the oil service warning light. It just reset the kilometers on the warning to zero. Thereafter it keeps showing the warning and counting the service as overdue (negative millage on the service warning).

There is a thread where they say the CBS (Condition Based Service) Module is programmed to stop processing the oil quality information from the oil level sensor after 300,000Km. This has got nothing to do with the the oil level sensor itself. They say the solution is to code the oil service warning not to appear on the cluster, and then do oil service on fixed intervals, like the good old days. Which to me is an insult. It seems like BMW coded their system to stop measuring the oil quality, for no reason.

Has anyone experienced this? What is BMW SA saying about this?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2018, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2018 06:21 PM by Ratslaaf.)
RE: BMW E87 116i Can't Reset Oil Service
I remember there being a bug on the preface 6cyl engines that prevented oil service resets after 350k km. I believe this is resolved with a software update. I’m not sure if this is relevant to the 4cyl engines (they use a different brand ecu), but I’ve not encountered it on 4cyl before.

A faulty oil condition sensor can also cause this, so can a ‘lockset’ installed in the car. If there’s a tamper dot on the dash, this might be your issue.

PMs don’t work, so if I don’t reply I’m not being rude.
Find all posts by this user
28-04-2018, 06:25 PM
(28-04-2018 06:19 PM)Ratslaaf Wrote:  I remember there being a bug on the preface 6cyl engines that prevented oil service resets after 350k km. I believe this is resolved with a software update. I’m not sure if this is relevant to the 4cyl engines (they use a different brand ecu), but I’ve not encountered it on 4cyl before.

A faulty oil condition sensor can also cause this, so can a ‘lockset’ installed in the car. If there’s a tamper dot on the dash, this might be your issue.
I changed the oil level sensor last year.

So with the software update, should I go to the dealerships or can any of the coding tools do a software update?

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
29-04-2018, 12:10 AM
try keeping the Driver side door closed when u are doing the reset sequence...

i had a similar thing with an e90 setup

use... don't use...

T
29-04-2018, 04:51 AM
(28-04-2018 06:25 PM)realtrevor Wrote:  
(28-04-2018 06:19 PM)Ratslaaf Wrote:  I remember there being a bug on the preface 6cyl engines that prevented oil service resets after 350k km. I believe this is resolved with a software update. I’m not sure if this is relevant to the 4cyl engines (they use a different brand ecu), but I’ve not encountered it on 4cyl before.

I changed the oil level sensor last year.

So with the software update, should I go to the dealerships or can any of the coding tools do a software update?

You might have changed it, but that doesn’t mean the issue is resolved. Get a diagnostic printout. Confirm if there’s a tamper dot on the dash.

PMs don’t work, so if I don’t reply I’m not being rude.
29-04-2018, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2018 08:06 AM by realtrevor.)
(29-04-2018 04:51 AM)Ratslaaf Wrote:  
(28-04-2018 06:25 PM)realtrevor Wrote:  I changed the oil level sensor last year.

You might have changed it, but that doesn’t mean the issue is resolved. Get a diagnostic printout. Confirm if there’s a tamper dot on the dash.

Cool, I'll have to do the diagnosis.
How does the mileage tamper dot looks like?

(29-04-2018 12:10 AM)Spiro Wrote:  try keeping the Driver side door closed when u are doing the reset sequence...

i had a similar thing with an e90 setup

use... don't use...

T
I'll try it and make sure all doors are closed.

02-05-2018, 05:11 PM
Not relevant but it reminds me of when i had a problem on my E60 530d with the one back window not wanting to fully open or close when pushing the window button. To reset one had to keep the window button in the close position for exactly 17 seconds, not a second less and not a second more otherwise it would not work. Was amazed when it did on the 17 second count!! I tried for maybe 45 minutes before i decided to use my phone and keeping the button in for exactly 17 seconds. So maybe the fact that the door must be closed in your case is the solution!!
03-05-2018, 08:41 PM
I tried it again with my door closed. I spoke to a mechanic, he said he has seen this issue before, but he hasn't heard of a solution to it.

31-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Hi, was this problem ever resolved as i have a similar issue with my 2005 E60 530d where as the oil service reset won't reset. Even had a BMW mechanic try the reset with the idrive but no. He said i should make an appointment and have BMW redo the software and then it might work. No positive result no pay!
01-02-2019, 09:58 PM
I never found a solution, I didn't take the car to BMW either.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
23-06-2019, 11:06 AM
320i E90 2005 im also stucked been searching through the net can't find solution, if anyone ever found solution let us know

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content