Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X5 E70 3.0d Start issues
11-01-2017, 01:47 PM
X5 E70 3.0d Start issues
Hi All

I have a question for the X5 junkies out there.

I have a problem trying to start the X5 - it will crank and crank and not start. I read somewhere that it may be the FOB, so the spare key was retrieved, put in, and an attempt to start was made. Believe it or not, it cranked over a few times and then started. The original key was put in and it also managed to start it after a few cranks.

Now my question is this - is the starting issue possibly caused by the electronics - i.e the FOB/immobiliser etc or is it mechanical?

I was told that my glow plugs would need to be replaced at some stage, but I have no errors show up about glow plugs or glow plug controller issues.

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone else suffered this at all?

P.S 2007 model with 170k on the clock

Om iewers te kom in die lewe gaan jy jou broek moet af trek of jou sokkies optrek, maar buk gaan jy buk!

2000 E46 318i Alpine White
2007 E70 X5 3.0d Alpine White
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2017, 02:22 PM
RE: X5 E70 3.0d Start issues
Could be HPFP.

Current -1996 E36 328i Individual

Ex - 1998 E36 318iS

[Image: 2_6392967547.jpg]

"If you park your car, walk away and don't look back, you're driving the wrong car"
....Real cars don't power the front wheels, they lift them....
11-01-2017, 02:51 PM
X5 E70 3.0d Start issues
HPFP - high pressure fuel pump?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Om iewers te kom in die lewe gaan jy jou broek moet af trek of jou sokkies optrek, maar buk gaan jy buk!

11-01-2017, 05:26 PM
Sounds like a similar problem the buyer of my son's 330d had. Started off with battling to start the car and eventually got to the point where the car would not start at all. My diagnostic tool showed low fuel rail pressure and the guy got a new low pressure fuel pump and problem solved.
11-01-2017, 05:28 PM
Firstly, this is SA, glow plugs are not important.

Secondly, its not the FOB, if it was not registering the FOB, you would not be able to start at all.

The fact that it starts sometimes would indicate that it is fuel related, therefore I would suggest not starting at the HPFP, but start by doing decent diagnostics.

Only when you have a clue, then start looking by maybe doing a fuel rail pressure test.

But yea, most likely HPFP

I will be on the other side if anybody needs me Bluebiggrin
11-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Fueling is the most likely cause here. Get diagnostics, else you just fart assing about

Please email or whatsapp as I'm not frequent on the forum during the day
12-01-2017, 08:24 AM
X5 E70 3.0d Start issues
Thanks guys. I will have to get it checked out soon.
I am 200km from the nearest dealership, so will have to take it in when I get the chance.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18-01-2017, 02:44 PM
Any feedback? Did you fix the problem?
18-01-2017, 05:53 PM
(11-01-2017 01:47 PM)eend Wrote:  Hi All

I have a question for the X5 junkies out there.

I have a problem trying to start the X5 - it will crank and crank and not start. I read somewhere that it may be the FOB, so the spare key was retrieved, put in, and an attempt to start was made. Believe it or not, it cranked over a few times and then started. The original key was put in and it also managed to start it after a few cranks.

Now my question is this - is the starting issue possibly caused by the electronics - i.e the FOB/immobiliser etc or is it mechanical?

I was told that my glow plugs would need to be replaced at some stage, but I have no errors show up about glow plugs or glow plug controller issues.

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone else suffered this at all?

P.S 2007 model with 170k on the clock

You need to sync the CAS and The DME
19-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Hi Boet,

Just take it to some reputable guys that will do diagnostic and immediately pin point the problem.

Strongly avoid arseholes that will play the "elimination game" with you as they did with my E70 and was 6 weeks in "dry dock" until someone not looking to screw me over took my X5 in and within 3 days she was back on the road, they replaced the main high pressure fuel pump sensor on the engine and also the fuel flow regulating valve on the rear end of the rail, cost me around R12k for the whole job including OEM parts!

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content