Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Mo's E39 530i Individual
After her little seaside vacation, the old girl has come back home to Gauteng. Yep, it's official: I bought Wykids/Nirvashs E39 530i individual Rollsmile

Went to and fro deciding between this and a E46 330i. Somehow, the E39 feels a bit more special to me. It's also quite rare to see a decent one on our roads, particularly in Individual trim.

[Image: mo%20e39%20530i_9846915244.jpg]

Progress so far:

For now, she's a bit of a garage queen, until Gizmo has some space to work on her and get her in tip top mechanical condition. From there on, it's going to be taken to the panel beaters to sort out the bumpers, followed by a decent detail and then I need to attend to lots of little things, like tyres, window rubbers, etc. Will update this thread as I go along though.

Some of my intentions and work thus far:

My plans are to keep her original. Any mods/updates/fixes needs to ideally come from the E39 stable or it's not going in. So far, I've managed to fix the twisted seats (which I discovered are flippen heavy), removed all the plastidip from the grills and de-badge the rear - I like the "clean" look. New bonnet badge will be put in after the detail.

Still undecided what to do with the head unit. Volume knob is faulty - thinking of replacing with a MID unit, if I can find one - keeps the look original. Also a bit undecided on wheels - the 17's look tiny in the wheel arches, but original E39 18s are difficult to come by. I think it's a sacrilege putting non-OEM wheels on the old lady (no disrespect to any who has done so, as it's down to preference). Ride comfort is ideal though on the 17s, so I'd probably just get a new set of tyres for them for now.

Now that I'm used to xenons on my other car, the halogens are spectacularly bad on this car...... maybe it's a sign of my old age Fencelook Will need to consider the best option to update the low beam lights. Again, need to keep it original, particular the "period yellow" halos, so any updates need to look completely stock.

Looking forward to the coming weeks and the little projects I've got lined up for her.
The following 7 users Like msm's post:
  • Bmw.wp, Gizmo, JMO1222, modocrat, Naruto, Peter@AEW, Prev
Congrats mooooo!!!!
Current: Ninja
N54 DCT E92
991.2 Carrera GTS

EX BMW's
F82 M4 
2016 BMW S1000RR 
2012 BMW 135i Cthulhu
2013 BMW S1000RR
91 E30 325i facepalm
09 Z4M Bawling
Congrats on the acquisition Mo, had a suspicion you had bought the car. Lols on the seaside vacation and returning a suburb or 2 over...
/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\
Congrats... great car, one of my Favs for the year!

Praise
[Image: 5_3796002571.png]
Instagram: @irfaan_e36
I didn't choose the 90s, the 90s chose me...
The following 1 user Likes CinZano's post:
  • wikked
Congrats!

The adjusters have probably broken in the headlights which is why the lights are bad. Look into replacing the adjusters. It'll make a massive difference
From the days when MSport and Individual was unique... Now... Even baseline models get it.

Your car is awesome!
[Image: mysig.jpg]
Congrats.

Try giving the knob a good few turns when the car is off. Should sort out the volume problem.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Congratulations Mo, I know the old girl is in good hands. Clapper
Current:
2017 VW Jetta Tdi DSG

Previous: 2008 Hyundai Accent 1.6 3dr ,2015 Dodge Journey 3.6 V6 R/T ,2010 BMW 320D 6spd ,2010 Mazda 3 2.0 individual, 1999 Nissan Sabre Gxi, 2007 BMW 323i 6spd, 2000 Opel Corsa B, 2006 Ford Focus Sportpack, 1999 Nissan Sentra Gsi, 1996 Toyota Conquest
Congrats Clapper
Current -1996 E36 328i Individual

Ex - 1998 E36 318iS

[Image: whatsapp%20image%202017-03-28%20at%2011.45.09_86...76013.jpeg]

"If you park your car, walk away and don't look back, you're driving the wrong car"
....Real cars don't power the front wheels, they lift them....
Congrats Mo Clapper
Congrats, she is special :-)
[Image: Stretch-_Dajee.jpg]
325Ci | ///M3
StretchForever
Well congrats on the ride Chef

(17-10-2016, 09:32 PM)RAArmstrong@TheFanatics Wrote: Congrats!

The adjusters have probably broken in the headlights which is why the lights are bad. Look into replacing the adjusters. It'll make a massive difference

WithStu

Adjusters can be shipped in easily enough, so try get the metal ones if you can. Otherwise the plastic ones will last at least 5 years or so before they break again.

Depending on the production date, it can either be a fairly effortless job or a really really nerve wrecking job.

What's the production date?

(18-10-2016, 06:14 AM)rodga Wrote: Congrats.

Try giving the knob a good few turns when the car is off. Should sort out the volume problem.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

WithStu

When he says a few, he means turn it fast and constantly for around a minute and a half in one direction with the radio off.
My thread - sold

Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
Thanks for the comments guys Thumbs

Will try spinning the volume knob a few times to see if that sorts it out.

I've checked the headlight adjusters - they are fine. It's just the light output that seems very low. However, will look at a decent set of halogens first (such as the Osram Nightbreakers or Philips Xtreme) before going the (proper) xenon retrofit option. Again, I think its just that I'm used to xenons.
(18-10-2016, 09:02 AM)msm Wrote: Thanks for the comments guys Thumbs

Will try spinning the volume knob a few times to see if that sorts it out.

I've checked the headlight adjusters - they are fine. It's just the light output that seems very low. However, will look at a decent set of halogens first (such as the Osram Nightbreakers or Philips Xtreme) before going the (proper) xenon retrofit option. Again, I think its just that I'm used to xenons.
They're notorious for having bad headlights, so an upgrade will work wonders.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
E34 540iA - Gletscherblau.

[Image: 7236253502_871632509e.jpg]
Congrats Mo!!Cartel
Love it, Mo. Very glad to hear that you will keep it OEM, or OEM+ at most.

On the wheels, what about inch style 32:

[Image: 3915980754_bd9fa0aa40_b.jpg]
2004 BMW 330i M-Sport 6MT
2007 BMW Z4 M Roadster
Ex. 2004 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
The following 2 users Like AdiS's post:
  • Bmw.wp, JMO1222
How did you check the adjusters?

They can't be seen unless the light is either baked open or cut open.

If they have not been replaced by the previous owners, then the adjusters are definitely broken. There's no question. When fixed, the standard bulbs give off more than sufficient lighting.
My thread - sold

Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
(18-10-2016, 09:32 AM)ChefDJ@TheFanatics Wrote: How did you check the adjusters?

They can't be seen unless the light is either baked open or cut open.

I checked for play first. I'm the poor bloke that wrote this (E39 DIY), so I knew where to "feel" for the broken adjusters without opening them.

Also, when on, I adjusted the level from the inside and they worked. Just outside my garage, my neighbours driveway inclines a bit allowing me to see how "level" they are. Hence, the lights were aiming straight - it was just the output that was dim.
Hmmm I don't trust those plastic bastards.... Please supply visual confirmation Rofl

(18-10-2016, 12:55 PM)msm Wrote: Also, when on, I adjusted the level from the inside and they worked. Just outside my garage, my neighbours driveway inclines a bit allowing me to see how "level" they are. Hence, the lights were aiming straight - it was just the output that was dim.

Mine from inside also worked with the broken adjusters. The interior adjuster is a separate one which works from the bottom of the lighting mechanism. The manual adjuster sit atop (as you would know).
My thread - sold

Glad to hear the car is getting TLC. Something that special needs to be preserved!