Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
30-04-2016, 06:25 PM
bmw 2004
Good afternoon members.

I've come across a 2004 and was wondering if it is worth restoring. What I can't find is any info (production history) on this car. is this car for real or is the seller pulling a fast one.
I've physically check the car out and it looks similar to a 2500. The body is very bad but all trim and interior still looks ok but will have to be redone. Engine and box as well. It's going to be a looong term project.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Mohan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2016, 06:41 PM
RE: bmw 2004
(30-04-2016 06:25 PM)Mohan Wrote:  Good afternoon members.

I've come across a 2004 and was wondering if it is worth restoring. What I can't find is any info (production history) on this car. is this car for real or is the seller pulling a fast one.
I've physically check the car out and it looks similar to a 2500. The body is very bad but all trim and interior still looks ok but will have to be redone. Engine and box as well. It's going to be a looong term project.
Mohan

Hi

If the car is the same one as below then its a BMW 2004 Cheetah. They are not a true BMW in all the sense. In early 70 Bmw bought out a company called GLAS and used their bodies to produce cars using the M10 motor and bits and pieces from the 2500 and the early 518. You can see the grill and kidneys from the 2500 and the rear lights off a 5 series, the rear lights were turned upside down and moved left to the right position then the normal placement on the 5 series. They were common in ZIM but not many other places. Its also commonly refered to as a Cheetah. Not extremely rare but its worth restoring. Nice find.

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkies/...0817145609

RIDE OLD STYLE, 08' 335i M, 76' 530MLE, 91' 850Ci, , 67 2002, 69 2002, 67 1600,
30-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Howzit Luis
Thanks for the info. Yes it's the same as the one on the link and it's in much better condition as well. Now I've got some thinking to do of weather to take this project on or not. trying to find a pic of one thats hotted up like the 2002's
12-04-2019, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2019 10:59 AM by Brendan2004SA.)
I have one, parts are not easy to come by without lots of digging. The motor and gearbox are the same as most of the 2L 4cyl's of the same era so spares for those are relatively easy to find, but suspension, glass, interior, drive train ect. are a pain. I have the 3-speed automatic, which is even more rare than the manual, I think only about ~500 odd were made between '73 and '74.
Like Luis said, the front grills, headlights and indicators are the same as e9, tail lights are from early E12 (not same as later E12 commonly available in SA, so may have to import), steering wheel and column is probably same as early E12 as well, clocks/gauges are similar to some of the '02/3.0 cars. As the name 2004SA implies - only manufactured in SA (BMW bought the Roslyn factory from Glas around the time these were made, so I suspect they just used what was left in the factory while BMW decided whether they would bring the E12 to SA). The Cheetah was a BMW branded Glas (Glas front and tail lights - like some of the other models) and sold mostly in Zim, you may be able to source some parts from there as well - luckily mine's intact and running so don't need anything for now. I guarantee that you won't find a "pic of one that's hotted up like a 2002", I've searched too LoL

Would be interested to know if you eventually decided to buy it and do the restoration, post pics if you did Bluebiggrin
The following 2 users Like Brendan2004SA's post:
Jeremy.d, Twinz
12-04-2019, 11:39 AM
Its an old thread but i would be interested in your thread with pix of your cheetah build. Why dont you create a new thread and share? Would be cool. Thumbs

[Image: twinzsig_5365414051.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
The following 1 user Likes Twinz's post:
Jeremy.d
12-04-2019, 12:04 PM
(30-04-2016 06:41 PM)Luis Malhou Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 06:25 PM)Mohan Wrote:  Good afternoon members.

Mohan

Hi

If the car is the same one as below then its a BMW 2004 Cheetah. They are not a true BMW in all the sense. In early 70 Bmw bought out a company called GLAS and used their bodies to produce cars using the M10 motor and bits and pieces from the 2500 and the early 518. You can see the grill and kidneys from the 2500 and the rear lights off a 5 series, the rear lights were turned upside down and moved left to the right position then the normal placement on the 5 series. They were common in ZIM but not many other places. Its also commonly refered to as a Cheetah. Not extremely rare but its worth restoring. Nice find.

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkies/...0817145609

ja i had a 2000sa when i was 15...i really didn't like it so my dad gave it to one of his friends and got me a stepnose GT Junior...i was very happy at the time..two completely different cars and all the guys making fun of my BM were nowhere to be found....would'nt mind having the BM now though

current: BMW E92 M3 (bearings could be fcukd)

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content