Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Arbee's Review of the BMW i8
Awesome write up! CoolShake

I think it's a cool car to have, has some touch of the future which I like.
Current:
'14 F30 335i MSport Alpine White III, Coral Red, Sat Nav, iDrive touch, PDC + reverse cam, Harman Kardon, N55 230wkw | 477wnm Rogue Performance Downpipe
'16 F30 318i LCI Manual, Alpine White III, Black Leather
[Image: banner%20final_1261154562_8282635603.png]
[Image: m_fanatic2_8387882621.jpg]
Mods: Optic Blue Lamin-X fogs, VPS light shields, CF Splitters, Mirrors, Ducktail spoiler, Aluminium interior trim upgrades...

Retired BMWs:
'12 F30 320d
'12 F20 118i
'09 E90 LCI 320i M-Sport
'07 E90 320i Excl
'91 E30 325iS Evo I
(29-02-2016, 06:35 PM)Karthik Wrote: As an avid fan of the BMW I8, I didn't come to the same conclusion as you after spending time with one previously. It's a lovely piece of technology, I was fascinated at its power delivery, being so smooth even though it's coming from two different power plants simultaneously and disregarded the points you mentioned with regards to the entrance to and from the vehicle, this car's market is beyond the regular customer, it's an occasion everytime you get in and I feel you missed that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The technology is marvelous, agreed... But, what's else does it boast?

Beyond the regular customer? How so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure Gret would agree with me on this... I would love to take apart this car and see what makes it tick...
I guess I was expecting too much out of the i8... As anyone would, forget the price. Like I said, people were starring in awe as I stood waiting to get into the car. But then you get in and it's a struggle, I guess I'm a little meatier than others which could have tarnished the entrance so I'll accept that. But you start it and feel around and apart from the steering and display, it's essentially an E60/F30/X5...

I find BMW could have spent a little more to make it worthwhile...

I'm still a fan of it, but given the opportunity I'd rather buy something a little more real.

(29-02-2016, 06:53 PM)Peejay@TheFanatics Wrote: I'm sure Gret would agree with me on this... I would love to take apart this car and see what makes it tick...

RollsmileRollsmile
PMs don’t work, so if I don’t reply I’m not being rude.
(29-02-2016, 06:54 PM)Arbee@TheFanatics Wrote: I guess I was expecting too much out of the i8... As anyone would, forget the price. Like I said, people were starring in awe as I stood waiting to get into the car. But then you get in and it's a struggle, I guess I'm a little meatier than others which could have tarnished the entrance so I'll accept that. But you start it and feel around and apart from the steering and display, it's essentially an E60/F30/X5...

I find BMW could have spent a little more to make it worthwhile...

I'm still a fan of it, but given the opportunity I'd rather buy something a little more real.

This is not an above average owner car I see plently of them (just like the 911's) in the Parkhurst/Sandton/Hyde Park area. Above average is MP4 etc.

With regards to getting in and out of it the car, I struggled to get in and out as well(felt similair to getting in and out of a Lotus Elise). I am not extremely tall and I am not meaty Tease
The following 1 user Likes Dewald Basson's post:
  • Arbee
(29-02-2016, 02:40 PM)Dewald Basson Wrote: This fake sound stuff, is really disgusting. It is like spitting in the face of all internal combustion engines.

I find it it dishonest.

Nice write up sir.

totally agree

good insight report

I guess the common people can only dream of owning one anyway, and now after reading about the fake sound, I dont want one anymore either
The following 3 users Like ET was here's post:
  • Arbee, Dewald Basson, r0ckf1re
(29-02-2016, 06:47 PM)Arbee@TheFanatics Wrote:
(29-02-2016, 06:35 PM)Karthik Wrote: As an avid fan of the BMW I8, I didn't come to the same conclusion as you after spending time with one previously. It's a lovely piece of technology, I was fascinated at its power delivery, being so smooth even though it's coming from two different power plants simultaneously and disregarded the points you mentioned with regards to the entrance to and from the vehicle, this car's market is beyond the regular customer, it's an occasion everytime you get in and I feel you missed that.

It boasts components that will go into future production vehicles, such as the carbon body, which is already starting to feature in vehicles such as the 7-series. It's a look into the future, with regards to design etiquette, the concept i8 called the vision concept a few years ago originally had the first gearlever that you now see in many regular production BMW vehicles. It's not a regular customer car, because not most of us can afford one frankly, we not looking at a BMW 3 Series. If I had a Ferrari 458 and a Rolls Royce Phantom, I'd get myself an i8 as a daily.

I would much rather have an i8 than an M6 so our opinions can be different, I just want to point out to anyone out there, like with many comments on the forum, I am not indulging in a keyboard war with Arbee at all. Just that our opinions are different.
[Image: 23170803612_b806dc0716_n.jpg]

2004 BMW 325i M Sport Individual - Messing Metallic - 120k km - Decat - 67mm tailpipes - CF Splitters - 18" Individual Style 152s - White LED upgrade - BMW Performance Gearknob - Brushed Allu Trim/Wood Trim - Armrest - FSH
The following 1 user Likes Karthik's post:
  • Arbee
No, no keyboard war. I'm not arguing, I like to hear the view of others hence taking the time to review the car, from my personal opinion...

I have to ask though, why? Why, would you buy an i8 as a daily if you had a Ferrari and Rolls as options? Fuel bill? 500km from a 42 liter tank and a full (5-6 hour) charge using the appropriate charging station isn't a good daily. I'd rather buy a 640d. But that's me...

I do see you point and agree that majority of the design, all of the tech and its striking appearance makes it a special car.

I'll still be bold and say, I'd buy an M6 over the i8. If I can afford a car that expensive, ill afford the fuel bill. Probably even mod the M6...

The following 1 user Likes Arbee's post:
  • Karthik
(29-02-2016, 07:45 PM)Karthik Wrote:
(29-02-2016, 06:47 PM)Arbee@TheFanatics Wrote:

It boasts components that will go into future production vehicles, such as the carbon body, which is already starting to feature in vehicles such as the 7-series. It's a look into the future, with regards to design etiquette, the concept i8 called the vision concept a few years ago originally had the first gearlever that you now see in many regular production BMW vehicles. It's not a regular customer car, because not most of us can afford one frankly, we not looking at a BMW 3 Series. If I had a Ferrari 458 and a Rolls Royce Phantom, I'd get myself an i8 as a daily.

I would much rather have an i8 than an M6 so our opinions can be different, I just want to point out to anyone out there, like with many comments on the forum, I am not indulging in a keyboard war with Arbee at all. Just that our opinions are different.

I agree on the tech and design. I think they acutally showed that not only Lambo can make wild good looking cars. But I am with Arbee on this one if I had 2.2(autotrader prices last time I checked) I would not buy a i8.

The Citroen DS was also a car which had "raised" the bar tech-wise in the car industry, but that too I just can't find a liking. Not sure what they are selling for but I doubt they are high on the want list of car collectors.
I'm just gonna leave this here, a review from somebody that tests cars all over the show, from small to extreme.

https://youtu.be/l5I6xuhNgVg

[Image: 23170803612_b806dc0716_n.jpg]

2004 BMW 325i M Sport Individual - Messing Metallic - 120k km - Decat - 67mm tailpipes - CF Splitters - 18" Individual Style 152s - White LED upgrade - BMW Performance Gearknob - Brushed Allu Trim/Wood Trim - Armrest - FSH
The following 2 users Like Karthik's post:
  • Dewald Basson, MaX
I also had the pleasure of test driving the i8 for a day. I agree with Arbee on most of the points he raised in his review. The entering and exiting this car is a nightmare. I went to the local mall and I had to park the car using two bays, afraid of someone parking too close so that I can't get in. One critic actually took a photo of how I parked and posted it on Facebook calling me inconsiderate. I wouldn't spend 1.6 million for an i8.

Good review Arbee. Please dont forget to post review of i3
Using Tapatalk
(29-02-2016, 07:14 PM)Dewald Basson Wrote: This is not an above average owner car I see plently of them (just like the 911's) in the Parkhurst/Sandton/Hyde Park area. Above average is MP4 etc.

Eeeerrmmmm... you've maybe raised your bar a little high i.t.o. average car...

No one talking performance?? There are plenty of reviews and races on the web where the i8 absolutely obliterates the competition. Also, i've heard an i8 at full chat and from outside, it definitely does not sound like a 3 pot 1.5

Would I buy one if I had the money, probably not. But take nothing away from this engineering masterpiece. If both Chris Harris and Jeremy Clarkson think its a winner, chances are, its pretty darn good.
I also had the pleasure of driving one.

I to, was expecting this huge WOW factor to the i8 but alas didnt give the thrill i was expecting performance wise. but i will say this the handling on the i8 is something else. not a flinch through the bends of under steer or over steer.

the looks side is in a world of its own compared to most everyday cars out there. So driving through my hood when even women can start doing the YOH YOH YOH voice of opinion you know you being looked at. and i guess thats why you buy and i8 not for what it can do but to be different to the normal person
It's a fascinating piece of engineering, but as a daily.... No.

For a daily I would want something easy to get in and out of, and the i8 is not that. Also, more comfort can be had from a 7 series or a Rolls, either of which I would choose as a daily over anything else.

For the price, an M5/M6 can be had with change for fuel. Or a 760Li.

The i8, in my opinion, is merely a status car. Meant for overly rich people in over crowded European countries where you don't really drive that far. 500km on a 42L tank is bad, and even more so for a hybrid.
/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\
My thread - sold

Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
The following 2 users Like ChefDJ's post:
  • Arbee, Dewald Basson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37kVzZJaJ1M

Is that how you felt trying to get out ?

RoflRoflRofl
The following 1 user Likes GGM's post:
  • Dewald Basson
BiglolRofl
/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\
My thread - sold

Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
(01-03-2016, 08:33 AM)GGM Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37kVzZJaJ1M

Is that how you felt trying to get out ?

RoflRoflRofl

Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl
I wasnt that bad... But thats a great example...
(01-03-2016, 06:59 AM)Mamboza Wrote: Good review Arbee. Please dont forget to post review of i3

Here you go:
Arbee's review of the BMW i3